Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

citycm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2008
I have just bought an AppleTV off eBay and I am trying to test it to make sure it works, but I don't currently have a flat screen TV to try it with. I have a couple of good TFT computer monitors but both are VGA so I bought a HDMi to VGA cable off eBay which arrived this morning and neither monitor gets a signal and just displays 'Check cable connection'.

What's this more likely to be? A problem with the cable or the AppleTV? Can anyone suggest any other way of testing this?

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
I bet it is a resolution issue. Of course, you'll never be able to know for sure.

itickings

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2007
I bought a HDMi to VGA cable off eBay which arrived this morning and neither monitor gets a signal and just displays 'Check cable connection'.

What cable did you buy? A really expensive one? HDMI and VGA are vastly different standards...

Without going technical - the cable most likely won't (and can't) work.

spice weasel

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2003
Maybe it's an HDCP handshake issue. Getting HDCP over an HDMI-to-VGA connection requires a special kind of cable.

Adobe75

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2002
Chicago, IL
You guys are clueless. The HDMI output on the AppleTV does not transmit an analog VGA signal.
You'll need an LCD with DVI input to test and an HDMI->DVI cable.

roidy

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2008
Nottingham, UK
Adobe75 is right, the ATV`s HDMI out is a digital signal and the monitors VGA input is an analogue signal so the two are incompatible. However you may be able to convert the ATV`s compenent out to VGA, but I`m not sure.

spice weasel

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2003
You guys are clueless. The HDMI output on the AppleTV does not transmit an analog VGA signal.
You'll need an LCD with DVI input to test and an HDMI->DVI cable.

Which is why I said he would need a special cable, specifically, one with a digital-to-analog converter in it. Such as the ones they sell here: http://www.hdfury.com/

Not worth it for the money, but it can be done.

rotarypower101

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2007
Portland Oregon
Try the "component" green RCA out on the ATV and use a yellow "composite" lead to your TV.
It will only be black and white and wrong resolution, but just for working verification, it should do fine. HTH ;)

itickings

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2007
Try the "component" green RCA out on the ATV and use a yellow "composite" lead to your TV.
It will only be black and white and wrong resolution, but just for working verification, it should do fine. HTH ;)

Now that is a really good suggestion if I ever saw one. I remember that option now that you mention it, but was obviously too focused on the OP's VGA to connect the dots that way. Nice.

You guys are clueless.

That on the other hand didn't sound very nice at all...

citycm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2008

Thanks, that worked a treat :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.