Trying to test an Apple TV

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by citycm, Mar 20, 2009.

1. citycm macrumors newbie

I have just bought an AppleTV off eBay and I am trying to test it to make sure it works, but I don't currently have a flat screen TV to try it with. I have a couple of good TFT computer monitors but both are VGA so I bought a HDMi to VGA cable off eBay which arrived this morning and neither monitor gets a signal and just displays 'Check cable connection'.

What's this more likely to be? A problem with the cable or the AppleTV? Can anyone suggest any other way of testing this?

2. belvdr macrumors 603

I bet it is a resolution issue. Of course, you'll never be able to know for sure.

3. citycm thread starter macrumors newbie

Hadn't thought of that. My monitors are both 17" non-widescreen so may be an issue.

4. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

What cable did you buy? A really expensive one? HDMI and VGA are vastly different standards...

Without going technical - the cable most likely won't (and can't) work.

5. spice weasel macrumors 65816

Maybe it's an HDCP handshake issue. Getting HDCP over an HDMI-to-VGA connection requires a special kind of cable.

6. Adobe75 macrumors member

You guys are clueless. The HDMI output on the AppleTV does not transmit an analog VGA signal.
    You'll need an LCD with DVI input to test and an HDMI->DVI cable.

7. roidy macrumors 6502a

Adobe75 is right, the ATV`s HDMI out is a digital signal and the monitors VGA input is an analogue signal so the two are incompatible. However you may be able to convert the ATV`s compenent out to VGA, but I`m not sure.

8. spice weasel macrumors 65816

Which is why I said he would need a special cable, specifically, one with a digital-to-analog converter in it. Such as the ones they sell here: http://www.hdfury.com/

Not worth it for the money, but it can be done.

9. rotarypower101 macrumors regular

rotarypower101

Try the "component" green RCA out on the ATV and use a yellow "composite" lead to your TV.
    It will only be black and white and wrong resolution, but just for working verification, it should do fine. HTH ;)

10. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

Now that is a really good suggestion if I ever saw one. I remember that option now that you mention it, but was obviously too focused on the OP's VGA to connect the dots that way. Nice.

That on the other hand didn't sound very nice at all...

11. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

I do doubt it will work on such a small screen.

12. citycm thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, that worked a treat :)