Trying to totally uninstall Flash...Safari has problems now.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ksgant, May 5, 2010.

1. ksgant macrumors 6502a

ksgant

I just want Flash gone. I don't want to "block" it, I want it gone. I used the Adobe flash uninstaller and it did indeed get rid of Flash, but now whenever I go to a site in Safari that has flash, I get an annoying drop-down dialog saying that the MIME type plug-in "application/x-shockwave-flash" can't be found.

Is there any way to disable that? Yes, I know I don't have flash, i don't need EVERY site that has flash in their little advertisements to make that drop-down come up now.

2. mrcodewizard macrumors newbie

Safari lacks control

The biggest issue with Safari is the lack of control it allows you. Sadly, many apps these days from Apple, are like that.

That's why I use Opera, and not Safari. I prefer control. it allows me more control.

I do not know of anyway to disable Flash and the stupid popups.

3. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

4. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

His issue isn't that he doesn't know how to uninstall Flash, it's that he uninstalled it and websites with Flash embedded are asking him to install it. This causes Safari to display a dialog.

This is out of the control of Safari ... the websites themselves are asking for Flash (although Safari could be less intrusive about it)

I believe you may be able to get around this by installing ClickToFlash. It intercepts calls to Flash objects and with it and without Flash installed, it will still appear to the website that Flash is present so Safari won't ask you to install it.

I found this out when I spent a couple of days uninstalling and reinstalling Flash to check the behaviour of a website I was working on. I have ClickToFlash and until I removed it I wasn't getting the install Flash dialog.

5. ksgant thread starter macrumors 6502a

ksgant

Yes, exactly. There's no problem in uninstalling Flash, it's getting Safari to stop throwing up a drop-down menu every time I go to a site that has flash now.

Guess clicktoflash is the only solution for now. Thanks

6. kurzz macrumors 6502

kurzz

I ran into this problem a few weeks ago and spent a lot of time looking for a way to disable that prompt too. I found, like you, that this is a function of Safari that can't be disabled, at least in the current version.

I suspect in the next version of Safari, they'll disable that prompt or provide an option to disable it..seeing as Jobs now hates Flash so much.

For now, if you want to be Flash-less and use Safari, you'll have to install the ClickToFlash Safari plug-in.