Trying to transfer file to External...not working

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iisdmitch, Nov 7, 2008.

1. iisdmitch macrumors member

Im trying to export a movie I ripped to my external HDD. I never have had a problem with this, however the one particular file I am trying will not go, it is saying it is unauthorized. I was able to transfer from my iMac to my Macbook with no problems, I was able to transfer from my Macbook to my work computer which has XP Pro. I even tried going from Windows to my external and it doesnt work. When I try to go from windows it says disk full, but I have 150gb free on the external. Any Ideas? The file plays fine, so I dont think it is the file that is corrupted, it is also in .mkv format, but I have transfered other .mkv files no problem.

2. blodwyn macrumors 65816

Is the drive is formatted with FAT32, and is the file >4GB ?

3. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

I looked at this thread earlier today and couldn't think of an answer worth posting. I can't believe I didn't think of that.

4. iisdmitch thread starter macrumors member

Im not sure on the format, its a WD Mybook, I have never formatted it so I dont recall the actual format. And yes the file is over 4gb

5. blodwyn macrumors 65816

I suspect that the MyBook is probably formatted with a FAT32 format, which does not support file sizes greater than 4GB. You can check the filesystem format by clicking on the drive in Finder, and doing a Get Info. If it's FAT32 then you're out of luck. Reformatting the drive to HFS+ will solve this problem, but you would lose everything on the drive so you would have to back it up first and then copy everything back.

6. iisdmitch thread starter macrumors member

It is FAT32, thats odd though because I have transfered folders over the the External that were larger than 4gb. That sucks though, I need to be able to transfer files over to windows sometimes :( Oh well.

7. blodwyn macrumors 65816

Folders are fine, as long as no individual file is greater than 4GB

8. iisdmitch thread starter macrumors member