Trying to Transfer iweb site issues

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by arabella10, Aug 29, 2011.

1. arabella10 macrumors newbie

So, I have my domain site & I am trying to get it to my macmini, which I now have iweb on by transferring it from my mac laptop by blue-toothing. However, when I try to get to my iweb folder, it is nowhere to be found. I go to library, application support, but then iweb is not a folder after that. I tried creating an iweb folder there & transfer my domain over, but that still did not work.

2. dmz macrumors regular

dmz

iWeb Where?

Move the site file (domain.sites2 - the default name) to your mini and double-click on it - iWeb will open it. However, be aware that iWeb puts a default domain.sites2 file in your Home folder in the Library in the Application Support folder in a folder named iWeb, in geekspeak that's ~/Library/Application Support/iWeb/domain.sites2.

If you simply open iWeb, by itself, it opens or creates that file if it doesn't exist already. So, you could rename your site file to domain.sites2 and place it in that folder, or put the file wherever you like - but you will only be able to open initially by double-clicking directly on the file.

After that, iWeb remembers where the last file it opened is, so launching iWeb will open the right file from that point forward...

Hope that helps - it is a little bit less than well-documented, and my directions may seem a little unclear on first reading.

Cheers!

dmz

3. arabella10 thread starter macrumors newbie

See the thing is that I don't have that iWeb folder. That is where I am running into the issue. I know where it is suppose to go, I just dont have that spot. lol

4. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

You'll only have ~/Library/Application Support/iWeb/domain.sites2 if you've previously run iWeb on your Mac mini. If you haven't previously run iWeb on your Mac mini just copy the iWeb folder (with domain.sites2 in it) to your Mac mini putting it in the ~/Library/Application Support/ folder. Then, like dmz posted double click the domain.sites2 file on you Mac mini to launch iWeb for the first time.

5. arabella10 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've put that folder there with the files in it, but when I double click domain.sites2 it opens iweb but iweb just gives me the default new website option where I am to choose a theme. It doesnt open the site I have made.

6. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Are you putting the domain.sites2 file in the /Library/Application Support/iWeb/ folder in your Home folder?

7. arabella10 thread starter macrumors newbie

8. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Okay, if you open your hard drive, you'll get a listing of folders, that's the root level, you'll see there's a Library folder with an Application Support folder inside it, that is NOT the one to use. Also at the root level of your hard drive you'll see a Users folder and in that folder is a folder with your user name (it has a house icon) that's your home folder, inside it is a Library folder and inside it is a Application Support folder, this is where your iWeb folder should be with your iWeb site in it. You can also access your home folder directly from it's icon in the Finder's sidebar.

9. arabella10 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, thank you for your help. When I go into my user, then username (house icon) there is no library folder. Just desktop, documents, downloads, movies, music, pictures, and public. What is causing that?

10. DewGuy1999, Aug 29, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2011

DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Is your Mac mini running OS X 10.6 Lion? If so, Lion hides the Library folder in the user's Home folder. There's a number of ways to get it to be visible or just get to it. Probably the easiest way is while in Finder, hold down the Option key and click the Go menu, and scroll down to Library. This will open the Library folder and allow you to access it even though it is hidden.

11. arabella10 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, you are one of my new favorite people dewguy!

12. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Aw, gee, you're welcome.

13. gopre2 macrumors newbie

Didn't Work

I did all that. I put the file in the folder but it will not show up no matter what I do. I open the application from the icon and have tried double clicking on the domain2 folder. It only brings up the website that was on the computer. I took the other file off the other computer by burning it to a DVD. Is the issue the way I am saving it? Please help. Thank you

14. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Are you sure that you're putting it in the correct location?