Trying to transfer SSD from old Macbook (2010) to brand new...problems...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DougFNJ, Jun 12, 2012.

1. DougFNJ macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

If anyone can help me I would really appreciate it.

I got my new 13" 2.9GHz Macbook Pro this morning from the Apple Store. I am upgrading from a Mid 2010 2.4GHz with 8 GB RAM running Lion.

I may had done this wrong, but the first thing I did was replaced the new Macbooks hard drive with the SSD from my older model. I figured this would be seemless. I started it up and got a circle with a line through it and nothing else, then it would shut down.

So I replaced drives back, booted up both and they both worked.

What is the best way to do this?

Thank you in advance for any help.....

2. tildesley macrumors regular

best guess (I haven't got one) is you need to boot it & go into recovery mode by hitting cmd-r after the chime

3. Greymarch macrumors newbie

DougFNJ,

I am basically trying to do the exact same thing. I want to put the SSD from my MacBook Pro 2011 into my new non-retina MBP 2012, and hope the new MBP just works.

I have been all over the net looking for information on whether this can be done, or if I need to re-install Lion on the SSD when I put it into the new non-retina 2012 MBP.

The tech at the Apple store said it might work. The sales rep at the Apple store said I would be voiding my warranty on the new MBP. Someone on these messageboards told me it would work. Bottom line...at this point I have no idea. I will post something to this thread the moment I get concrete information.

Here is a link to the MacRumor thread I started on this same topic:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1385142

4. richy d macrumors member

Hopefully you dont mind me tagging onto this thread.

I currently have a 13" macbook pro 2011 with ssd and running snow leopard (my external audio interface doesnt play nicely with Lion).

I am wanting to know whether it would be possible to run slow leopard on the 2012 by simply putting the drive in, or if not what steps I should follow to be running on SL with my current SSD.

thanks in advance!

5. danetello macrumors 6502

I think the best option would to back up the SSD with time machine, then format the SSD and insert into the new macbook and restore again with time machine.

6. Macman756 macrumors 6502a

Macman756

This is because the new MBPs use a new build of Lion, one your MacBook never shipped with. This is the same as trying to boot your new MBP from the old MacBook media disks. The new Pro won't start up on that OS, so you are going to have to reformat the SSD using the Internet Restore built in the the OS. What'd I do, assuming you do not have an external hard drive, is Carbon Copy or Migration assistant the contents of your SSD on the new HDD, the install the SSD and erase and reformat using Lion Internet recovery, then use migration assistant to transfer the info back.

7. Greymarch macrumors newbie

These 2012 non-retina MBPs are so new, how do you know that the internet recovery option will download and install the brand-new, 2012 MBP version of Lion? Perhaps the internet option will try to download and install the regular 10.7.4 version of Lion?

8. Macman756 macrumors 6502a

Macman756

That's fine. It's device specific, firmware version of Lipn which his 2010 MacBook is lacking.

9. Greymarch macrumors newbie

So you are saying that the internet recovery option downloads a version of Lion specific to your laptop?

By the way, I tried to download Lion using the app store on my new non-retina 2012 MacBook Pro. The app store would not let me download Lion! The app store said that my laptop is not compatible with the app store version of Lion. I mentioned this in the following thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1385562

10. DougFNJ thread starter macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

Well this was quite a tedious process, but I guess it's never a bad thing to clean it up sometimes.

I backed up all the files to an external hard drive, formatted the SSD and booted into network recovery. I got a clean install of the OS, loading applications back in, today I will be putting files back on.

My last Macbook was really fast with the 8 GB RAM upgrade and the SSD, I have to say this upgrade was SO worth it, this Macbook Pro is FAST!