Trying to understand timecode when working with Hi8mm - DV transfers in FCP

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by timn420, May 15, 2009.

1. timn420 macrumors newbie

I have about 12 Hi8mm tapes that I’m moving onto my hard drive.

I bought a Sony DV player (TVR280) that is capable of playing 8mm tapes via firewire (i-link) for this purpose. I have no problem viewing the video/audio in FCP 6 preview, but when I try to do capture now I get the infamous black screen and ‘waiting for timecode, must be in VTR mode’ message. Now, if I change the device control to ‘Non-Controllable’ from Firewire NTSC I’m able to use ‘capture now’. However, what is the ramifications of doing this?

I assume that I don’t have TBC via the Sony DV. Without the TBC information, will the video be worse or cause me problems in editing? I’m guessing the video may be more wavy? I was under the assumption that playing 8mm through the DV player would not give me timecode.

2. Keebler macrumors 68030

are these your tapes or clients'?

If their yours, timecode doesn't matter. You'll be able to see the time in the top right hand of the timeline. Or, if you really want to slap TC on it, there is a timecode reader you can apply to your footage while in a timeline so you can see the time right on screen.

In terms of quality, there's not a loss using the non-controllable setting. That just means you can control the deck from within fcp. no big deal. when done capturing, press esc. good as gold :)

hope that helps.

Cheers,
    Keebler

3. timn420 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, these are my tapes. Just some old footage of a documentary I was working on. Back when editing wasn’t so non-linear 

I was a little confused because I could control DV tape through FCP when in preview mode. I thought, awesome, it works! However, when I hit ‘capture now’ I got the black screen.
    I will let it run this weekend and see how the capture goes. Hopefully I won’t get too many drop frames.