Carrier Trying to unlock a sprinto phone 4s

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Adam1988, Nov 5, 2014.

1. Adam1988 macrumors member

United States in Texas, After will be Europe.
    Hey guys its adam,

Im having this big problem with a sprint iphone 4s im trying to UNLOCK IT WITH USE OUT OF THE USA (MEXICO) im trying to do my best, i had responses to do factory unlock for sprint iphone 4s but its only by sending it to Sprint to do factory unlocking but
    The reason is that i want a different method cause im changing contracts to t-mobile i bought iphone 6 but only responses to send them to the company but im looking to another alternatives. Since u guys are masters at this i was seeking help to actually do a different method from a sim unlocker? Or maybe by a jailbreak im on
    Firmware 7.1.2 jailbroken. But if theres methods through jailbreaks its a good one like ultrasnow or maybe througha sim card by buying it either way but not throught SPRINT.

I did lots of research but there just links with no confirmations please a great help is appreciated!

Iphone 4s sprint carrier jailbroken firmware or version 7.1.2

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't believe Sprint unlocks there phones so I don't think there's much you can do, or am I misunderstanding your question?

3. Adam1988 thread starter macrumors member

i got an answer that supposedly your phone can be unlocked with sprint but you have to send it and pay shipping and everything but its only if you are out of the contract but to be honest is not really that...
    the real reason why is because i don't want to be left out with no phone since I'm waiting for my iPhone 6
    all i want to do is actually unlock the iPhone 4s and sell it in mexico to my friend that needs it for school.

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

No unlock for domestic use possible. Sorry. No way, no how, not ever going to happen. Sprint does not unlock for domestic use ever and any third party trying to sell you one is a scam.

You can get an international unlock only. Don't know if that means Mexico, but you have to have service with Sprint for 90 days and pay your bill on time. Then you can ask.

Forget about jailbreaking if unlocking is your only intent. Software unlocks died four years ago and no one has made a new one.

SIM Interposers (R-SIM, Gevey, etc) are an option as are third party INTERNATIONAL only unlocks such as provided by chronicunlocks.com.

That's it. The above is all you can do.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Did they say that? Because they've long held the position of not unlocking their phones.

6. Adam1988 thread starter macrumors member

So then you think gevey can unlock it? If thats the method i will be happy to do so :)
    Also you gave me a website or a link
    Will that help me?
    And you explain everything im glad you helped me very much!
    THANK YOUUUU VERY MUCH ^~^

----------

Its cause sprint diesnt want to unlock it!
    Theyre mean! :mad:

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

A Gevey or an R-SIM will allow the phone to work off of Sprint's network, yes. They are SIM interposers.

SIM Interposers perform a Man-in-the-Middle attack on your SIM/phone, fooling the phone into thinking it's on Sprint's network when it isn't. Remove the SIM interposer and your phone is still locked. So, this is NOT a true unlock, it's just a workaround.

I cannot provide you with any links. I don't and never have used a SIM interposer so I have absolutely no idea where you could find one. I do know that you want to be careful about updating iOS because it can break the function of the interposer. Also, they run about $80 or so that I've heard.

Frankly, if you can't get a free international unlock from Sprint by being on their service for a time, then swiftunlocks or chronicunlocks may be the better choice. No SIM interposers involved. However, it's more expensive. $80-150 I think.

8. deviant macrumors 65816

Lol you could almost buy a new 4s

9. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

LOL, yeah, pretty much.

There's one "unlock" service out there offering a total unlock (impossible) for Sprint iPhones if they are unactivated with a clean ESN. You only have to give them $999.99 for it. :eek:

10. themyst macrumors 6502

Actually, there was a time period where Sprint DID fully unlock their phones, right when the 4S first released on Sprint's network. It would work just as any other carrier unlock would; you'd get an e-mail to restore your phone in iTunes and it would be unlocked.

They disabled it to appease their pathetic churn rate. Long-time ex-Sprint employee here.

I guarantee if someone found a software unlock exploit, they'd confirm its possible. Problem is all of these unlock requests go through Apple now, so that won't be happening.

11. Adam1988 thread starter macrumors member

All this is insane :(
    U think gevey woul work? :(
    It talks only about firmware 6. And also about that it has to be jailbroken :(

12. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I know a Gevey would work. Too many people in here (macrumors forums) use Geveys and/or ask about them.

They probably mean it needs to be running iOS 6 and it needs to be jailbroken.

I'm just guessing here, again I have no firsthand knowledge.

You have to ask yourself though…is this worth all the trouble?

----------

Yep! I know of someone who has a completely unlocked 4s. She bought it during this period and managed to avoid Sprint's lockdown later on. I think it was, what, maybe 6 months only, if that?

There are also a few people I am aware of that because of Apple were able to get fully unlocked Sprint phones new. That was Apple forcing Sprint.

So, a complete unlock IS possible, it's just that the requirements or circumstances to make it happen are so unusual to say the least that it's just improbable.

13. Adam1988 thread starter macrumors member

Well ur right i was just wondering since i had already told my friend about it thats why :S but oh well ill try sell it in mexico or make him fix right?

14. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Well, that's passing the problem on, but if you make it clear what the problem is when selling, it can be worked around - if someone is either willing or able to meet Sprint's requirements for an international unlock, or pays for the alternatives.

This is why though, Sprint phones are so much cheaper. They are locked to Sprint's network and usually the buyer doesn't figure that out until they try to activate the phone.

I can't tell you your business on selling it of course, but if it were me, I'd make it clear that it's locked to Sprint.

15. Adam1988 thread starter macrumors member

So then how did she do it was she in ios7? Jailbroken.?

16. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

No, just Sprint's policy at the time.

Sprint got the iPhone in 2011 with the release of the iPhone 4s. For the first few months Sprint confirmed that the 4s sold at Sprint stores was unlocked domestically and internationally. A few months later, Sprint changed it's mind and from that point on any iPhone 4s' they sold and all later iPhones have been locked.

But if you bought an iPhone 4s during that time period before Sprint locked them down AND you avoided the update that Sprint later pushed out that locked the 4s down, then that iPhone 4s is unlocked. She bought during that time period and avoided updating, hence her iPhone 4s is completely unlocked.

17. Adam1988 thread starter macrumors member

Oooh no wonder... Well oh well i understand i guess theres actually no way around to fix this issue thanks ill give a try with gevey my phone is a 4s and its locked with sprint its a freaking iphone on ios 7.1.2 and is on jailbreak thats all there is to it...