Trying to unlock iPhone 5...not working?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HXGuyAZ, Sep 20, 2014.

1. HXGuyAZ macrumors 6502

I requested an unlock from AT&T about a week ago and got an email back saying the request has been approved and to plug in my phone and do a restore. I did that but I didn't see the expected "Congratulations your phone has been unlocked at the end", it just came up in iTunes asking if I want to restore as a new phone or from a previous backup.

Any way to check if it worked? I don't have an T-Mobile nano SIM to test it.

2. HXGuyAZ thread starter macrumors 6502

3. JOSE891 macrumors 6502a

JOSE891

If you don't have a diffrent sim there's really no way knowing its actually unlocked, you can try putting your imei at imei.info and it might till you if it's unlocked.

4. HXGuyAZ thread starter macrumors 6502

Called AT&T tech support and they actually do have the ability to check unlock status on iPhones only. Gave them the IMEI and they confirmed, even said that it shows it was unlocked today, which was accurate. :)

5. AreanFSL macrumors 6502

You should be fine. Last time I unlocked with AT&T, it didn't show the congratulations for me either.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The only way to tell for sure is to stick a Tmobile or non AT&T sim inside and see if it works.
    That "congratulations" message doesn't always come up. I did dozens of restores to mine and only saw it one time.
    So everyone should stop looking for that message and calling in to complain when they don't see it.
    Also you can buy a tmobile nanosim for 99 cents to check it out yourself if you dont know anyone with a tmobile phone.
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=tmobile+nano+sim&_sop=15