Trying to update to new baseband but can't save hosts file

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by kuhroo25, Oct 13, 2010.

1. kuhroo25 macrumors member

I'm on an iMac and I am trying to update my jailbroken iPhone 4 from 4.0.1 to 4.1, then re-jailbreak. I have no reason to keep my current baseband (no unlock needed and a new one is one the horizon), but the latest version of TinyUmbrella automatically changes the hosts file to point to cydia's servers. I'm trying to change it back to the original by deleting the last line in the file, but it won't let me save it when I am am done. I have gone to "Get Info" and given myself Read & Write privileges, yet it still won't let me. Am I missing something here? I have searched all over and haven't found an answer. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

If you don't care about saving the baseband, why are you even running Tiny Umbrella? Just run iTunes and allow it to do the update.

S-

3. kuhroo25 thread starter macrumors member

I used Tiny Umbrella to save my SHSH blobs in case I ever wanted to downgrade the firmware. And the new Tiny Umbrella changes the hosts file when you exit the program so if you ever try to restore without TU, it will direct to cydia's servers.

4. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

Does Cydia have your iPhone's iOS 4.1 SHSH blob? If it does, you don't need to edit anything. Quit Tiny Umbrella, run iTunes, and update your firmware.

S-

5. shigs macrumors member

Try saving a copy to your desktop then browse to the folder and rename your existing hosts file to hosts.old. Once thats done just copy the the one on your desktop to the folder where the host file goes. That's how I've been doing it.

Let me know if you notice better reception, less dropped calls, better battery life, etc with the new baseband. I have been trying to find a changelog or reports on peoples experience with the new bb for the last 2 days. Thanks.

6. ignus graius macrumors regular

Open a Terminal window (located in Applications>Utilities) and copy-paste the following command:
    Code:
    sudo /Applications/TextEdit.app/Contents/MacOS/TextEdit /etc/hosts
    then enter your password. You'll then be editing the hosts file as an administrator and be able to save.

7. Nevrsadie macrumors regular

Nevrsadie

Not sure if this will help but I had to change the privelages on the etc folder in order to save the host file.