Trying to upgrade Blueberry g3 need help!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by userken, Nov 8, 2011.

1. userken macrumors newbie

I recently acquired an iMac g3 from October of 1999. I'd like to upgrade its hard drive and ram. The systems software is completely up to date OS 9.2.2 and OS X 10.3.9. It unfortunately did not come with any install disks for the operating system, so I decided to clone the 6Gb hard drive onto an 80Gb and swap them out. With this I've had no dice after trying three different methods.

First some specifics on the hard drives.

I'm trying to clone to:
    Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9
    80Gb ATA/133 7200 rpm
    +5V 670mA
    +12V 690mA

Current Internal Drive:
    Seagate 6Gb
    Ultra 100/ATA 5400 rpm
    +5V 600mA
    +12V 900mA

Ok now onto the three methods I tried (they may look repetative).

A.) Carbon Copy Cloner
    1: Format disk in Disk Utility
    2: Clone in CCC
    3: Switch Hard Disks
    4: Boot, disk spins for a minute stops and a folder with a '?' appears on screen
    5: Switch Back to Old Drive and boot back to try method B

B.) SuperDuper
    2: Copy - All Files using SuperDuper
    4: Boot, disk spins for a minute stops and a folder with a '?' appears on screen
    5: Switch Back to Old Drive and boot back to try method C

A.) Disk Utility
    2: Restore Disk in Disk Utility (6Gb as source 80Gb as Target)
    5: Switch Back to Old Drive and post on forums for advice.

So at this point I'm not sure if it is the Hard Drive I'm trying to copy to or the methods I've used to do the cloning. From what I've read this should be possible. I did read that the 7200 rpm hard drive might not work, but then again I've also read that it should. Not sure what to believe.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. aednichols macrumors member

aednichols

How are you doing the clone? Do you have another machine (e.g. a Power Mac) that you're using? If so, you may need to change the new drive's jumper settings before installing it in the iMac - a quick google search will show you what to do.

3. userken thread starter macrumors newbie

I am doing the transfer using an IDE to USB adapter, so everything is done using the g3. The cloning is a painfully long process over the USB 1.1. The jumper pins on the Maxtor are set for it to be a master (I have tried different configurations but I did not expect them to work and indeed they had the same results as above.)

4. aednichols macrumors member

aednichols

USB 1.1 - you are a very patient person! What exactly is the model of adapter you're using?

Also, is the new drive known-good? In my experience, most cloning failures have been due to either the source or target drive having problems.

5. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

read this it will help explain why it may not be working

http://lowendmac.com/imacs/rev-d-imac-g3-333-mhz.html

"Mac OS X

If you have a hard drive over 8 GB in size, you must partition it or you will not be able to install Mac OS X. If you are creating the partition within OS X, it must be smaller than 7.4 GB as reported by Disk Utility (because sometimes a GB is billion bytes and sometimes it's 1,073,741,824 bytes); we suggest simply setting it at 7 GB to avoid having to redo the whole installation if the partition ends up bigger than specified (it happens). Mac OS X must be completely within the first 8 GB of space on your hard drive or you will not be able to run OS X."

6. userken thread starter macrumors newbie

The adapter I am using is a generic one, I don't have it on hand to give you the exact make/model, but it converts 2.5 & 3.5 inch IDE drives as well as SATA drives to USB. The source drive seems to be fine it boots up every time, the target has recently been formatted to multiple different formats as a test and seems fine.

So I am thinking the size of the drive may have been the problem, I was always formatting it into 1 partition using the full 80Gb. I will try formatting it in two partitions 7Gb and 73Gb, and clone only to the 7Gb partition and see if this helps. I will post results tonight after I have given it a try.

And USB 1.1 is the only way to go the Blueberry iMac has no firewire :(

7. userken thread starter macrumors newbie

Solved. Partitioned the hard drive to have two partitions, 7GB and 73GB cloned to 7GB drive and viola, booted no problems. Now If I could just get a hold of some Tiger CD's and do the XpostFacto thing, I'd be in business.

PS: Thanks for the advice everyone who helped.