Trying to upgrade MBP to 250GB samsung, PROBLEMS!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacDaddy08, Feb 13, 2008.

1. MacDaddy08 macrumors regular

MacDaddy08

I just purchased a new MBP 2.2 GHz Core 2 Duo and also bought some upgrades from eBay and decided to do them myself. I know it voids the warranty but it would cost over $1000 for Apple to do it and only $250 for me to do it. I purchased a Samsung 250GB hard drive and installed it. However, I can't install the OS on it. I tried multiple times and it goes nowhere on the install screen. The drive is correctly formatted (trust me I checked probably 10 times). I even installed the OS with no problem on an external USB drive. Then I re-installed the HD again and still the same problem. So I put a different HD in the MBP and it works fine and installed the OS with no problems. Is there something with these Samsung drives that I should know about or something I am doing wrong? I can't figure it out. Please help!

2. matperk macrumors 6502

Can you clarify where it stops in the OS install?

3. digitalpencil macrumors 6502

digitalpencil

I know you said you checked whether the disk was formatted but is it in the correct file-format? Some disks come prep's as NTFS which OS/X can't write to, they will need to eb formatted as HFS+

4. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

Also, make sure that it the partition scheme is correct. You can only install OSX on GUID partitioned drives.

5. MacDaddy08 thread starter macrumors regular

MacDaddy08

After the MBP verifies the installation DVD and it starts installing it stops right there. I could let it sit on the installing screen for 2 hours and it won't move. When you look at time remaining it just stays on ...calculating.

I did confirm that the drive was formatted to HFS. When you format using the disk utility it doesn't give me the option for NTFS.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by your partition response. How can I tell if it is GUID partitioned? There is currently only the 1 partition, I will partition it when I get the OS installed so I can install XP on bootcamp. But until then, I'm stuck.

6. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

just another point it does'nt void your warranty unless you screw something up

oh and the drive wants to GUID partitioned and formated hfs+(journaled) NOT NTFS

7. MacDaddy08 thread starter macrumors regular

MacDaddy08

I know not to format to NTFS, that is a PC format, not Mac. I confirmed 10 times yesterday that is was correctly formatted. Do you know how I confirm that it is GUID partitioned. I don't know how to check that.

OK, I just looked it up on google and there is a partition scheme pop-up menu under the options button on the disk utility. I didn't notice that before. I will check that out tonight when I get back to my MBP.

Also, I am new at this and maybe I should post a new thread for this one. I have another MBP that needs a lot of work. I am trying to replace the screen on it and I can't get those 2 screws that hold the cover plate on to come out. They made them almost impossible to get to. Anyone have any tips in that area?

8. fsckminix6 macrumors regular

9. gotzero macrumors 68040

I use right-angle screwdrivers, but you can get to them at an angle with normal ones. Use a size smaller if you have it, and be gentle. Replacing the display is really a chore, but you can get through it. The hardest part is the glue attaching the display to the bottom of the bezel. Be careful with that!

10. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Sorry but i misread this

I did confirm that the drive was formatted to HFS. When you format using the disk utility it doesn't give me the option for NTFS.

11. MacDaddy08 thread starter macrumors regular

MacDaddy08

Thanks you guys for all the tips. I should be to get that screen off now with that link to the ifixit site. I am going to try the hard drive GUID partition scheme tonight when I get to my other MBP. I will let you know how it goes.