Trying to upload video for the first time. . .

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by animaly, Jul 20, 2009.

1. animaly macrumors newbie

I have only been a Mac owner for a couple of months, and I'm trying to figure out how to do basic video editing. I just bought a Canon Vixia HF s100 to replace a miniDVD type camcorder that was arbitrarily corrupting entire disks of video. Just now I tried to upload the first few clips that I've taken with the camcorder, and I think I somehow lost all the info that was on the card.

I have a card reader that I use for my photos, so I used that with the SDHC card based off of info someone had posted on this forum. Then I watched the imovie tutorial and decided I should've just plugged in the camcorder with the card in it and uploaded that way. When I put the card back in the camcorder it shows zero clips where there had been several.

I hope this makes some sense. . . does anyone know what I did wrong and if my video is lost forever??

Thanks for helping me!

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    It's sad to see, but I bet that it's gone permanently. :(

3. spinne1 macrumors 6502a

spinne1

Well, did you see the card show up as a temp hard drive on your Mac? If so, did you drag the files to your hard drive?

What happened when you put the card in the reader? (On some occasions I've had to go to Disk Utility to make a card mount--select the card on the left and hit the mount button.)

4. animaly thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks jmann, I appreciate the sympathy. I'm not attached to many things, but losing video of my kids makes me cry.

spinne1, I did see it show up on the desktop when I put it in the card reader, but since I thought I was doing it wrong and needed the card back in the camcorder I didn't attempt to drag it anywhere or copy it or anything. At this point I don't even know what I'm supposed to do with it at all, and I hate to record anything else until I know for sure.

Can anyone using SDHC cards tell me how they upload into imovie? And how the heck do I make sure I don't erase any more clips?? I still don't know what I did wrong.

5. spinne1 macrumors 6502a

spinne1

Put the card back in the reader and see if there are files on it. If so, drag them to your hard drive somewhere. Then worry about iMovie after you have your files.

6. animaly thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!!! Unfortunately I don't even know what you mean when you say to drag them to the hard drive. I put the card in and I think they might be there, but I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much yet. . .

So, how do I get to my hard drive? It's ok if you're laughing at me, I don't mind, really. . .

7. animaly thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, I did find the hard drive, I did drag the folder there, but I can't seem to be able to import them into imovie. It just tells me there's nothing to import. So, I still don't know if I lost those clips or not. Any ideas??