Trying to use laptop as wireless adapter for G5 PowerMac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by GizmoGimps, Nov 25, 2008.

1. GizmoGimps macrumors newbie

Is there a way I can use my windows based laptop to give my G5 PoweMac a wireless connection?
    My G5 does not have an airport and I have had a lot of trouble trying to find one for my model, and this seems like it would be a reasonable solution...if it is possible.

Thanks!

-GG

2. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Your G5 can't use wireless unless it has AirPort or third-party card/USB adapter. What you could do is run an ethernet cable from your laptop to your G5 and share the connection from Windows.

3. GizmoGimps thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmmm... if a share the connection from windows, will my mac have access to the internet (i really just need updates).
    Also I how would I go about setting up the connection?

4. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Google it, should be relatively easy, but I don't know the steps.

5. GizmoGimps thread starter macrumors newbie

6. GizmoGimps thread starter macrumors newbie

alright...I found it. In case anyone else wants to share their Windows Vista wireless laptop's internet connection with their PowerMac G5, or any other computer for that matter:

"Choose Start->Control Panel. Open Network. At the top, click "Network and Sharing Center." At left, click "Manage network connections."

Thereafter, other computers on the network can share the gateway PC's Internet connection, even if they're running earlier versions of Windows, or even Mac OS X and Linux. In fact, they don't need to be computers at all: you can use ICS to share your Internet connection with a video game console or palmtop!"