TRYING to use my LTE iPhone tether to play PS3 online, issues...

Hustler

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 31, 2010
Does anyone have a workaround for this?

My IP6 Att LTE tether hotspot connects fine to my PS3 but I'm having an issue where my public lobby is only populated with me. I can choose to switch lobbies over and over via the game and it's always solo. If I swap over to my house's wifi, it will put me in a public lobby with other people.

I've read online that it's due to the iPhone's NAT settings and its on NAT 3 and PS3 public lobbies work best on NAT2.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to circumvent this?
Thanks
Brad

Ps should be noted I have very strong signal strength and a fast download and upload speed in my are on LTE, so it's not that.

AutoUnion39

macrumors 601
Jun 21, 2010
Hmmm... this is interesting. Never heard of this issue before. A few years ago, I would hotspot my iPhone to my PS3 and play online. Worked fine.

Hustler

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 31, 2010
Because I've got a lot of phone data and am considering ditching the $170/ mo cable and Internet bill and exclusively use LTE hotspot at home.

Hustler

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 31, 2010
I'm testing now different scenarios and usage patterns before I make the switch to cut the cord. And not being able to play gta online (I know I know) is an issue.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I wouldn't ditch my homes internet and use my phone as a wireless router 24/7 for all my homes devices.
As you can see its not as reliable or feasible option as a dedicated home wifi network.

Hustler

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 31, 2010
It's actually worked out great for all I need it for except this one issue.

----------

Been testing for 2 weeks now.

Apple Trees

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2013
I've used my hotspot to play PS3 before a few times and it worked fine. Actually smoother than my ISP.

Hustler

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 31, 2010
I've found that I can play COD online fine in any gameplay I've tried. But the gta online lobby does not work correctly, I can join other active online members in a mission but once it's free roam I get out back in a solo lobby. Must have a strong security restriction on this game?
Does anyone else here play gta online? Can you tether your PS3 to phone data for a test to see if online lobbies work?
Maybe I have a corrupted PS3 file in my game data or something?

Vundu

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2009
Manchester, UK
Dont think it is the iphone as i tether and play Destiny online. Maybe your mobile providor throttling or blocking ports?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
You can get a repeater and problem solved. Pays for itself in a few months.

http://3gstore.com/product/5658_weboost-home-4g-kit-470101.html
Sale Price:$398.99
Lol:D
If he doesn't want to pay for internet I doubt he'd want to spend that kind of money.
Either way your iphone would still need to broadcast/tether 24/7 to that repeater. And I don't think the phone was designed to be a home router or dedicated internet solution. To turn it on here and there to tether is fine but to constantly running a home network would put lots of strain on the device, it could lead to overheating, battery, hardware degradation and many other issues. Also you would have to leave the phone at home to provide access to at all times.

JulesJam

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
Sale Price:$398.99
Lol:D
If he doesn't want to pay for internet I doubt he'd want to spend that kind of money.
That would be paid for in a few months with the money you would save by dropping cable internet at least where I live it would.

Either way your iphone would still need to broadcast/tether 24/7 to that repeater.
You don't tether/broadcast to a repeater. You don't understand what a repeater does. You are confusing it with a network extender or a router.

And I don't think the phone was designed to be a home router or dedicated internet solution.
Nonetheless, it can function as one.

To turn it on here and there to tether is fine but to constantly running a home network would put lots of strain on the device, it could lead to overheating, battery, hardware degradation and many other issues.
Lots of us do it with no problems.

Also you would have to leave the phone at home to provide access to at all times.
Not if everyone in the house has their own phone to use as a personal hotspot.

Last edited:

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Where I live cable internet is about $30-40 so it will take way more than just a few months to pay for itself. About a year or more.
Up to you, I just don't see it as a viable solution that's all.

That would be paid for in a few months with the money you would save by dropping cable internet at least where I live it would.
You don't tether/broadcast to a repeater. You don't understand what a repeater does. You are confusing it with a network extender or a router.
Nonetheless, it can function as one.
Lots of us do it with no problems.
Not if everyone in the house has their own phone to use as a personal hotspot.

Last edited:

JulesJam

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
Where I live cable internet is about $30-40 so it will take way more than just a few months to pay for itself. About a year or more.
Up to you, I just don't see it as a viable solution that's all.
You have very cheap cable internet. Comcast performance internet, which is the lowest speed and cheapest, is $65/mo depending on where you live and there are another $10+ of fees/taxes on top of that where I live. You get an intro rate of $30/mo for the first year, then it goes up to $50/mo then $65/mo. Taxes and fees are on top of that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.