Trying to use Outlook 2011 first time ever instead of imail and can't access emails

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Junebugman, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Junebugman macrumors newbie

I've never even used Outlook on Windows. My school offers Office 2011 for about $15 and I figured I might as well switch from imail to Outlook. The problem is I can't recieve emails from Outlook. Right now Outlook is on a trail..but in a few days I should receive the code for it. Anyway with imail I just gave it my email add. and pw to it and done. However I did the same with Outlook but I keep getting "error code 17900". It's telling me that I cannot add it..and when I try to send/receive emails a window opens up telling me my info or something might be wrong...however I've entered the correct user/email and pw...the other stuff they ask like incomming and outgoing server I have no idea what that is though.

The window poping up an error message says this.

The server for account "Yahoo" returned the error "[AUTH] Access to this service is not permitted.." Your username/password or security settings may be incorrect. Would you like to try re-entering your password?

I have no idea what to do. This problem is going for my Yahoo personal email and for my Gmail school email. I had no problems like this with imail, but Outlook is causing me a headache.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You need to ask your school's IT department how to set up your account in Outlook.

3. Junebugman thread starter macrumors newbie

Why? I mean I didn't need to do that with imail. Also, my school is quite large 35,000+ and the IT dept. is always swamped because they're small and they're constantly fixing in-class comps and for small questions(such as this) you can't call them, but you have to send an email request, and it they say it takes between 24-48 hours to get a response.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Well the thread title says you are trying to use Outlook 2011. Are you trying to use Outlook 2011 or Apple Mail? Which is it?

If you want to solve your problem you'll take the necessary steps to solve it. Sometimes problems don't magically solve themselves.

5. Junebugman thread starter macrumors newbie

I said that I'm using imail, but I'm switching over to Outlook to be my primary way of receiving my emails.

And that is exactly what I am doing. I am on a forum about Macs, and in a sub-section about software related questions and basic questions. So I am taking proper steps by asking other people who might know the answer. I figure it would be faster than waiting a few days. I'm not lazy, just efficient.

6. logana macrumors 65816

logana

If both your email accounts (Yahoo and Gmail) are working properly with Apple Mail (not imail) then you will need to look at the incoming and ongoing server settings in Mail and use that info in Outlook.

Go to Mail>preferences>accounts and check the server info on the account information tab and also the port info on the advanced tab....

There is no need or point in contacting the school IT dept since it is not their servers you are using to collect the mail from...

If you are having problems do screen prints of the info above from Mail and somebody will help you