trying to work out if MBA will suit my needs

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by dave12345, Nov 17, 2010.

1. dave12345 macrumors regular

hi guys,

i'm trying to work out if the 13" base model MBA will work for me - i want to use it for logic 9 (fairly big projects with video) and basic email / web browsing.

i'm using a white macbook (mid-2007 2Ghz CPU / 2GB RAM / 80GB intel SSD) as a test machine and it seems to work fine for my needs... but when i run a processor heavy project in Logic or play a full screen 720p youtube video the fan annoyingly revs up very quickly...

would this be the same on a new MBA? or do you get away with working them fairly hard without the fan kicking in too much ?

my main laptop at the moment is a 2010 13" MBP and the fan is always at 2000 RPM and inaudible. but i'm looking for the extra portability...

thanks for any advice...

2. KPOM macrumors G5

The MacBook Air's NVidia 320m integrated graphics will help games and videos, as will the faster bus and memory. The fan will kick on at times, for sure.

Since you have an SSD, you already know of some of the benefits, however, it's likely that the Toshiba SSD in the new Air is faster than the one in your older MacBook.

3. MikeinJapan macrumors regular

If I were you I would consider the 13" pro. It is more suited to your needed as it will run cooler under pressure. I think they air could do it just fine too but go for 4GB of RAM.

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

You're probably better off sticking with the MBP for the horsepower for Logic.

5. dave12345 thread starter macrumors regular

i think you're probably right

thanks