Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yugioh5d

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 20, 2015
Hi, the 2m cable is bit short for me with the Pro XDR. I am looking for a longer cable (2.5-3m) or otherwise will something like CalDigit TS3 Plus Dock works (Mac Pro -> TS3 -> Pro XDR)?

Does anyone knows if there is any performance issue? Will it work at 6K? Any feedback is appreciated, thanks.

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008

edit: apologies, didn't see your post on the second page in there already.

the one that worked had a MBP. the one that had a MP, i assume, from discussion of a rack...

what graphics card do you have?

yugioh5d

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 20, 2015
I have read that one, there are mixed responses there. One person said it works at 6k but not sure about the performance. While others said it only works at 5K and if connect with "intermediate" devices, it won't work at all. So I'm literally in confusion...

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
I have read that one, there are mixed responses there. One person said it works at 6k but not sure about the performance. While others said it only works at 5K and if connect with "intermediate" devices, it won't work at all. So I'm literally in confusion...

I went back and edited in a little bit once I realised you'd posted and gotten mixed messages.

the one that worked had a MBP. the one that had a MP, i assume, from discussion of a rack...

I would guess you'll need to have the AMD Radeon Pro W5700X to have a similar experience to the poster with the MBP, thanks to DSC.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Does DSC “pass through” to the TS3 Plus when connected directly to a GPU via TB3 that has DSC (like W5700X)? Previous understanding was NO.

Have an MBP16,1 with 5500M and TS3 Plus if there’s anything specific that can be tested. No access to an XDR.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Does DSC “pass through” to the TS3 Plus when connected directly to a GPU via TB3 that has DSC (like W5700X)? Previous understanding was NO.

Have an MBP16,1 with 5500M and TS3 Plus if there’s anything specific that can be tested. No access to an XDR.
Here are some situations:
1) W5700X MPX module Thunderbolt 3 port -> Thunderbolt 3 cable -> CalDigit TS3 Plus -> DisplayPort output
In this case, it is DisplayPort 1.2 without DSC because TS3 Plus uses Alpine Ridge.

2) W5700X MPX module Thunderbolt 3 port -> Thunderbolt 3 cable -> CalDigit TS3 Plus -> Thunderbolt 3 cable -> XDR
In this case it might work since the DisplayPort Thunderbolt packets created at the MPX module should be able to pass through the CalDigit to the XDR as DisplayPort 1.4 HBR2 with DSC.

The other thread has sufficient evidence indicating that dual HBR3 (used by Vega II and 580X) will not pass the CalDigit.

I have done tests showing that a single DisplayPort 1.4 HBR3 signal can pass through a OWC Thunderbolt 3 Dock (contains Alpine Ridge), but I don't have a GPU that supports DSC yet.
1) MacMini8,1 -> RX580 eGPU -> DisplayPort outputs to GC-TITAN RIDGE DisplayPort inputs -> OWC Thunderbolt 3 Dock -> HP Thunderbolt Dock G2 (contains Titan Ridge) -> 4K 120Hz display.

The same test works replacing the HP Thunderbolt Dock G2 with a Wavlink Thunderbolt 3 Dual DisplayPort 8K Adapter (also contains Titan Ridge).

I have a Delock DisplayPort 1.4 MST hub which is supposed to support DSC, but AGDCDiagnose shows "DSC Support: 0". I don't know if that's because my GPU doesn't support DSC, or because my 4K120 display does not support DSC (maybe AGDCDiagnose does not show info from the hub, but only from the display connected to the hub). macOS doesn't support MST for multiple displays, so the MST hub might not be a good test.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.