TSA Airport Security Checkpoints

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by nashville man, Jan 15, 2012.

1. nashville man macrumors newbie

Do you have to remove Airs from bags to pass they airport security?? Thought I saw in some threads that Airs can stay in their cases?? Sounds like another Air advantage if it is true.

2. glen e macrumors 68030

ipads can stay

airs come out or split if your luggage does that

3. emoore macrumors regular

I don't have an air but I've seen plenty of them having to be removed from bags at the airport so I'm not sure if that's true.

4. Windowsrefugee macrumors regular

I have NOT ever had to take my MBA out of its zip up case. I have had an Air for almost 1.5 years and it does not seem to be an issue. I am not sure exactly why.:cool::D

5. glen e macrumors 68030

I am saying air's have to be removed....not from a case, but the carry on- but all laptops can stay in TSA compliant luggage....

like this:

http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/products/commute-2

6. emoore macrumors regular

Right. I should have said that they are not treated any different than other laptops, at least from what I have seen.

7. leftywamumonkey macrumors 6502a

leftywamumonkey

Yeah, I believe the case plays more of a factor.

8. KPOM macrumors G5

Technically the 11.6" models are small enough not to need to be taken out of cases, but most of the time agents will want them removed. Notebooks of any kind can remain in sleeves or special cases with separate compartments (they are usually marketed as TSA compatible or something similar).

9. Devil Dog 21 macrumors newbie

I have tried twice to get my 13" Air passed through TSA without removing from my carryon and have had zero success. Now I just remove it to avoid being a pain.

10. KPOM, Jan 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2012

KPOM macrumors G5

Technically, the 13" needs to be removed. It is the area, not the volume, that drives the requirement. That said, I remove the 11.6" version from the case ordinarily since I've been successful only about 50% of the time when I leave it in.

11. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

http://www.tsa.gov/press/happenings/simplifying_laptop_bag_procedures.shtm

Long story short:

Sleeves, trifolds, or two-fold cases are fine. If it goes into an actual laptop bag or backpack, it has to come out.

Not true. I left my 13" Air in my 12South BookBook, and never had to take it out of the book.

BL.

12. wgnoyes macrumors 6502

There's no consistency between airports. You'll get by with not having to do something in one airport and get hammered for it somewhere else, "TSA-compliant" bag or not. If you object by saying "I didn't have to do this in so-and-so", they'll reply with a contemptous sniff "well WE do it right here!"

13. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

The last time there was consistency in the TSA was the day before the TSA was created. ;)

If the TSA says that "we do it right here", you can counter with the rules from their website saying that they aren't, as long as you have a copy of those rules with you. Just be careful with how you approach that method, as you don't want them to arrest you. But you definitely have the right to complain about their service right then and there if they aren't consistent with the other airports or situations where they need you to take out your MBA.

BL.

14. Papanate macrumors regular

I travel a lot and this is exactly how it is. The Totally Stupid Asswipes have zero consistency between airports. the only consistent tech they let through in baggage/Laptop bags is the iPad.

15. aethelbert macrumors 601

I have not yet had to remove my 11" from my rollaboard. Granted, I've only had it for three weeks and have only passed TSA ~10 times with it, but I have yet to encounter any inconsistencies.

From my understanding, the 11" can stay in the carryon, and the 13" must come out. The same is true for most netbooks and computers with sub-12" screens. Note that I am not referring to "checkpoint friendly" computer bags; my experience comes from a 20" rolling suitcase.

16. theSeb, Jan 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2012

theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

I carry the MBA in a sleeve and then in a Targus backpack. I also have either a Kindle or an iPad in the backpack.

I can only echo the comments above - there is no consistency. I fly throughout Europe for work and this is what I've found:

1. I always remove it from the backpack, but keep it in the sleeve.

2. I've only had to remove the MBA from the sleeve once with a particularly difficult "agent". If I recall correctly it was at Heathrow. I normally fly out of Heathrow once a week so the ratio of this actually happening is very small.

3. I don't normally take out the kindle or the iPad from the backpack. I've had to take them out once in Berlin when flying back out of 10 occasions.

This is based on about 42 flights in the space of 3 months visiting 10 different capitals in Europe.

17. gentlefury macrumors 68030

So weird, the only real difference between the 11" MBA and the iPad is about an inch and a keyboard. Other than that, they are basically identical, in that you can't open them up. TSA is the most annoying agency on the PLANET!!!!

18. jmoore5196 macrumors 6502a

jmoore5196

TSA's own regulations allow the 11" MBA and the iPad to be run through the scanning system still in the bag. The 13" MBA must be taken out for separate screening, SSD notwithstanding.

The problem, as previous posters have noted, is that airport TSA stations operate outside the realm of TSA regulations.

The important thing to remember is that you're probably going to be arguing your case (and TSA regulations) with extremely limited mentalities; most of the people who are screening you and your carry-ons could not get a job anywhere else.

You're always free to see if you can slide your MBA through without removing it from your bag. But arguing with the TSA employees is hopeless and will only subject you to additional harassment. I escalated such a discussion all the way up to the airport station manager without benefit.

There's no use quoting their own regulations to the employees; what they say goes. Watch the people ahead of you; if a traveler is made to remove his or her iPad or MBA from a bag, you probably should suck it up and move on.

19. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I'm telling you, guys..

After flying at least 5 times with my 13" Air that I bought in July, the TSA has not asked me once to take it out of my case. I have taken it out of my backpack, yes, but never out of my case, especially if it meets the criteria of one the kinds they list on their site.

So most common cases will work; I have never had to take my MBA out of the case for it to be scanned.

I work very close with the aviation industry, btw.

BL.

20. KPOM macrumors G5

If your "case" is just a sleeve, then it usually works, even with a 15" or 17" laptop.

21. glen e macrumors 68030

they never ask me to take it out of my slipcase or bookbook, but they always ask me to take it out of my carry on if it is not tsa compliant. My waterfield cargo is not tsa compiant, my timbuk2 is....

----------

please do not post stuff like this here...common sense is not what we are used to....the ipad forum currently has a 10 page thread going on how to wash a poly cover....LOL

22. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

Agreed. I travel quite a bit and I have always left my MBAs (used to have 13", now have 11") in a simple neoprene sleeve. You have to take it out of any larger bag and the sleeve can't contain any wires/cables/device that would obscure looking at it. I have found that if there are papers or a paper notebook with it, then it is fine.

23. johnhurley macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

Yes it is hard to guess what one airport will do versus another one ... remember they do not exactly pay a lot for the tsa security jobs ...

So just smile and be polite and go with the request of the day ...

24. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

The 11" MBA does NOT need to be taken out. Neither does the iPad. I've gone through TSA security about 10 times in the past year, I've never taken out my MBA from my bag.

The 13" however, does need to be taken out.

25. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Mark that as another win for the 11"!

I havent flown with it yet...only my iPad (which i didn't have to take out. Though my gf had a small bottle of shampoo that they freaked out about!)