TSA and the watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by maliu, May 7, 2015.

1. maliu macrumors 6502a

Went through TSA twice yesterday. Used my passbook app to scan my boarding pass. Agents were quite impressed. Went through the scanner with the watch on my wrist and it didn't alarm. Loved being able to keep my phone in my bag and just worry about putting my ID away.

2. Mobster1983 macrumors 6502a

good to know. although mildly disturbing if you walked thru a metal detector and it didnt go off.

3. meihcydna macrumors regular

4. eoblaed macrumors 68000

eoblaed

That's not how those scanners work.

The scanner will pick up the watch, but they can see from their cartoon image that what it picked up is on your wrist ... they can clearly see there's a watch on your wrist, so everything is good.

5. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Body scanners don't set off alarms like metal detectors. In fact, most metal detectors won't be set off by small amounts of metal. Too many false alarms, so TSA usually sets the alarm sensitivity down a bit.

6. Mobster1983 macrumors 6502a

I assumed he was talking about a metal detector. Only one of the airports I usually fly through uses the body scanners. Of a body scanner, then yea, that makes sense. Nice to not have to take the watch off.

7. KPOM macrumors G5

The TSA has told me specifically not to take off a watch. I'm pre-check, though, so am used to leaving things on, etc.

8. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Most international hubs are using bodyscanners (LAX, Dallas, JFK, etc). A few regional airports I know of use them as well (Fresno and Pensacola, if I am recalling correctly). But, yeah, not a lot of regional airports have body scanners, comparitively.

Even with metal detectors though, I can't recall being asked to take my watch off in the last decade???

9. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

I usually am, at both Narita (Tokyo) and Changi (Singapore). Oh, and Taipei (whatever that airport is called). Maybe it's an Asian thing? :)

10. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Been a long, long time since I went through Hong Kong and Singapore. Long before body scanners were invented. In fact, China had just taken back Hong Kong when I went through there.

11. maliu thread starter macrumors 6502a

Regular walk through detector. I was pre-check and it did go off, but it was my shoes not the watch. BTW I'm a she and the watch is a sport.

12. SpenceMan01 macrumors member

I flew last week as well. TSA and the gate agents all loved it. I, too, am PreCheck, so I go through the traditional walk-through metal detector. I'd started to take it off my first time through, but was told to "keep all jewelry on". No issues whatsoever.

13. melman101 macrumors 68030

Which watch do you have?

14. twisted-pixel macrumors 6502a

twisted-pixel

Used mine last week too (United airlines and sport watch). The only problem I had was trying to get my wrist into a position for the scanner to read the watch.

15. schulzmc macrumors regular

As another data point my watch did set off the metal detector at the state capital in Illinois. Had to take it off to make it through. SS with ML band.