MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

TSMC is "on track" to begin volume production of 5nm chips in April, despite "recent speculation" indicating that the foundry had been requested by Apple to defer production of A14 processors by one or two quarters, according to DigiTimes.

a14-bionic-clean.jpg

A paywalled preview of the report claims that TSMC's manufacturing lines remain fully booked for 5nm chips amid the current pandemic.

TSMC has been Apple's exclusive supplier of A-series chips since 2016, and its chips have gradually become smaller as it continues to refine its manufacturing process, benefitting performance, battery life, and thermal management on iPhones.

Apple plans to introduce four high-end iPhone 12 models with 5G support in the fall, including one 5.4-inch model, two 6.1-inch models, and one 6.7-inch model, according to analyst Ming-Chi Kuo. Due to the ongoing pandemic, however, there have been conflicting reports on exactly when Apple will unveil its latest iPhones.

Article Link: TSMC Reportedly 'On Track' to Begin Volume Production of A14 Chips for iPhones Despite Pandemic

Last edited:
Reactions: DeepIn2U

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
Hope they'll focus on power consumption, I could use more battery life on the smaller phone. My Xs is great except for battery life, I know the 11 Pro is better but I hope they'll improve it even more

ksec

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2015
A14 and Qualcomm 5G, I was planning to get one this year.

Now I just hope everything is back to normal by October.....

d5aqoëp

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2016
I am pretty sure most will defer their purchases this year. People will only buy if their phones break. We still don’t know when this whole Covid-19 pandemic will be over. Apple is really underestimating the gravity of the situation.

anthogag

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2015
Canada
What is the big deal? It will be the iPhones that launched in the year of COVID-19. By the "fall" businesses and jobs will be back baby. Celebrate with a new iPhone.

Reactions: decypher44

magicschoolbus

macrumors 68020
May 27, 2014
If the iPhone has 5g, I will be buying immediately. Other then that, still no reason to upgrade from my iPhone X.

Reactions: Agit21

mazz0

macrumors 68030
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
For me its the iPad Pro with the 14x that I’m looking forward to hopefully see. It’s my favorite device and the one i spend the the most time on and with the most demanding apps.
Yeah, I'm the same. iPhones have been more than fast enough for years, and have been pretty boring (and too big!).

iPad's my favourite ever Apple device though, and I'm looking forward to a model with great local dimming, which is what I'm hoping the miniLEDs will bring, and a faster processor will be a nice bonus. What I'd really like though would be Xcode, and for that I really think they need to stop being so stingy with the RAM.

Reactions: rp2011 and Ghost31

Cristim74

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2016
Bucharest, Romania
I'm all in for an A14X iPad Pro, as my Air 2 is starting to show it's age; not to mention lack of Pencil support.
Not sure though about the iPhone 12, as I already upgraded my 8+ to an 11 Pro Max. 5G is still a gimmick.

Reactions: rp2011

GeoStructural

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2016
Colombia
I am really looking forward to a flagship 6.7" iPhone this year :)

That's the one to get, along with the iPad Pro 12.9 inch 256 GB LTE and A14X chip.
[automerge]1585667721[/automerge]
5nm is incredible, and I'm sure the A14 chip will be an improvement, but the transition back to a Qualcomm modem chip may be even more important.

My heart is ready, my wallet is not.

I want the effing keyboard, but geez, $349, that is just insane.

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
I am pretty sure most will defer their purchases this year. People will only buy if their phones break. We still don’t know when this whole Covid-19 pandemic will be over. Apple is really underestimating the gravity of the situation.

I don't think Apple is underestimating the situation. Each iPhone takes time for development and production, even if they cancel the project today a lot of work has already been done.
Sales will be really low this year compared to 2019, I think Apple is quite aware of that. But even selling in lower volumes is better than skipping a new iPhone and don't sell anything at all. Maybe they'll postpone some features to 2021 to boost upgrades, but they made an agreement with Qualcomm for 5G to have it on the 2020 iPhone so I bet we'll see at least a 5G model this year.

agsystems

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
I don't think Apple is underestimating the situation. Each iPhone takes time for development and production, even if they cancel the project today a lot of work has already been done.
Sales will be really low this year compared to 2019, I think Apple is quite aware of that. But even selling in lower volumes is better than skipping a new iPhone and don't sell anything at all. Maybe they'll postpone some features to 2021 to boost upgrades, but they made an agreement with Qualcomm for 5G to have it on the 2020 iPhone so I bet we'll see at least a 5G model this year.
yea those phones have to ship, otherwise Apple stock and finances will suffer greatly

Reactions: decypher44

HappyIntro

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2016
Why is it so hard just to skip this year iPhones we’re in a pandemic

Because millions of people are going to want to buy them. Shutting down production also causes more people to lose their jobs, so those workers stop spending, which causes more people to lose their jobs, etc., etc.

The best way to make the economic mess caused by the pandemic much worse is for people to slam their wallets shut in some knee-jerk manner.

Those that have the money and want the product, by all means purchase...I know I'm going to buy my son a new phone for his graduation present.

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
Why is it so hard just to skip this year iPhones we’re in a pandemic
That would make no sense. Broadly speaking, the world is fine. This is still limited to a very few number overall. It doesn’t mean it’s not sad, but millions of people die every year for various reasons, including viruses and health issues. You're just hearing the most about people dying from this at the moment.

EugW

macrumors G3
Jun 18, 2017
People have lost loved ones and People also lost their means of income
So you’d rather have Apple shut down production so that even more people lose their jobs.

That makes no sense whatsoever. Like I said, I have not yet seen any good argument to justify skipping this iPhone generation

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.