Tucano Vedo for iPad 3 photos

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by cole01, Apr 15, 2012.

1. cole01, Apr 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2012

cole01 macrumors 6502

Just got this case in and it seems to be the perfect combination of protection while still supporting the smart cover. I previously used a Incipio NGP but missed the instant wake functionality that the smart cover brings. I'm a big fan of this TPU material, the charcoal color, and the magnet on the back. Also using an iCarbons skin underneath. Here's some pics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Click image for full size

2. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

thanks for the review. I was wondering if the Vedo fit. They didn't have any in store, only online. Now to decide what color.

3. sinser macrumors 6502a

sinser

4. BornRight macrumors newbie

Where did you buy it from? Can't find it on Amazon. Is this specifically designed for the new iPad?

5. geoelectric macrumors 6502

geoelectric

6. cole01 thread starter macrumors 6502

I got it directly from the Tucano website. States that it is compatible with iPad 2 and 3. The fit is great.
    Here's the URL:http://www.tucanousa.com/US/products/iPad3/

Comes in a few other colors as well, the blue looks nice. Arrived very quickly to me in California. Still haven't received my SwitchEasy CoverBuddy that I ordered long before the Vedo. :/

7. geoelectric macrumors 6502

geoelectric

I got mine (in grey) last week from J&R off Amazon. Took four days to get to California from the day I ordered. It's an excellent case--putting the back magnet in the TPU is a great touch.

8. RTbar macrumors regular

How well does the case stay on around the edges? What I mean is, is the TPU material tight enough fitting so that it doesn't feel like it will peel off of the Ipad when you hold it. Also, does the case add significant bulk? I am choosing between this case, the Speck Smart Shell, the Belkin Secure Shield, and maybe Tucano's Magico (anyone tried it?)

I don't mind some added thickness as I think it would make it easier to hold by rounding off the sharp corners, but I don't want it too bulky either. Ms concern with the Snap Shield Secure is that it is soo thin that it may conform to the iPad too well, leaving the same sharp corners. The Speck is probably the same thickness as a TPU case, but probably has a tighter fit... It hasn't been released yet as far as I can tell though (Edit: Speck said a week or so)

9. geoelectric macrumors 6502

geoelectric

The TPU fits very closely. In the parts where there is a thin strip (over ports, etc) I've had the edges work themselves back over the edge. It's only happened once or twice though, and was when I was holding it such that my palm pushed them back.

The case adds some bulk--it's about 1.5mm thick. So, probably 2.5mm or so including the thickness of the lip around the bezel. It's not very bulky, but is thicker than the Snap Shield or other polycarbonate back plate.

I've used the Snap Shield Secure, also. It's comfortable; no sharp edges, but has some light molding burrs on the side. Its problem is that it tends to break spontaneously.

10. RTbar macrumors regular

All things considered, do you think you would have preferred the Belkin if it didn't break or have manufacturing issues? On all of the Amazon reviews, Belkin has offered to replace any defective cases, so I think that they are listening to customer feedback and making changes

11. geoelectric macrumors 6502

geoelectric

Yeah, probably. The Belkin shield is definitely a little thinner, and doesn't come up over the bezel at all. The Vedo has a touch more drop protection, though.

Belkin is certainly being honorable. If you don't mind the hassle of maybe having to exchange, it might be the case for you.

Just understand that right now that chance is probably pretty high. They've been "making changes" for a few versions now, and they keep breaking. I suspect the change they need to make is to different, perhaps more expensive, plastic.

12. sinser macrumors 6502a

sinser

So the only covers with a magnet on the back are Tucano Vedo, Speck Smartshell (no 3rd gen yet), Blekin Snapshield secure and Incase Magcase ? Do I miss something else ? The magnet feature is so useful that it's strange that there aren't more options around....

13. RTbar macrumors regular

14. cole01 thread starter macrumors 6502

I previously used the Belkin snap shield on my iPad 2 and it ended up breaking like a lot of other members here. Keep in mind that I had a very early version and I'm sure there's been many revisions since that may or may not have fixed the issue.

That being said, the main reason I went with the Tucano Vedo is because I wanted more drop protection and liked the lip around the bezel. It just feels a lot more protected against a drop than if it were in a polycarbonate case. Not sure why I'm even worried, I bought AppleCare+ too. As for the thickness, it's not bad at all. Does add some weight but I'm still able to hold it up comfortably with one hand.

15. geoelectric macrumors 6502

geoelectric

I've heard of three different revisions of the Snap Shield. Supposedly there were two different ones on the iPad 2, which were differentiated by a square cutout for the microphone vs. a trapezoidal one. The iPad 3 one is a slightly different design from the iPad 2 (trapezoidal) one I had.

Both the iPad 2 and iPad 3 Snap Shields broke their corners on my New iPad. I wrote the 2 off as misusing the product; the 3 breaking, however, seems indicative of a continuing problem. I've heard plenty of reports here and on Amazon that indicates that it's so.

Re: AppleCare+, it doesn't cover dents or scratches, so still worth worrying about cosmetics and minor drops.

16. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

kewl I was looking at the Magico and Vedo comparing it to Xtrememac. I thought about getting the Xtrememac cover because Staples has 25% off plus my ink rebates put the price down to $12. But their case doesn't cover all the corners. I have a Tucano Second Skin for my MBP that I love. I went to J&R music and they only had the folio cases. Good to know that these work. I need a back case so that when I play games, the iPad doesn't slide around on the table.

17. sinser macrumors 6502a

sinser

18. cole01 thread starter macrumors 6502

Nice! Report back on how ya like it. I enjoy it so much I'm thinking of ordering another color, maybe clear or blue.

19. sinser macrumors 6502a

sinser

Well, received my iPad and the Tucano Vedo yesterday. So far I'm very, very happy with it. Fits perfectly and magnet works fine. Adds a bit of thickness and weight but not that much. The touch feel is very nice too. No drawbacks so far for me.