Tuesday stock?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Wailord, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Wailord macrumors 6502

Anyone have any information on how the stock looks at AT&T/Apple Stores?

Las Vegas AT&T
    W Lake Mead: None (9:20PDT)
    Rampart:
    Ann Rd:
    W Sahara:
    Decatur:
    Craig:
    Flamingo:

2. AustinSTI macrumors 6502

Hey let's make a thread for every day this week while we're at it...may as well save someone else the time of doing so.

The only people who know are those who work there which would be specific to certain locales. Otherwise check the availability page nightly...

3. gts197 macrumors regular

according to the website last night, not one nj store had any available. Anybody have updates on this?

4. Wailord thread starter macrumors 6502

I've updated my main post to reflect the unknown status of the stores in Vegas, as no one opens up shop for about an hour.

5. brinycbri macrumors 6502a

in NYC, att did not get any stock on sunday, monday, and plans not to get any today

6. Wailord thread starter macrumors 6502

What is with AT&T's lack of supply? It's not just that they get small shipments, but mine hasn't seen one since Friday!

7. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

I called a couple places in Northern NJ like tices corner/garden state and even palisades in NY but they are all out of stock :/.

ChrisN

8. allial3001 macrumors newbie

My theory is that they don't want to have to pay commission to their sales team for a phone that sells itself. I think they want Apple to see the majority of the upfront phones. Then let the sales staff sell to people after the initial rush.

9. sms0217ny macrumors regular

Manhattan ATT stores are totally sold out also, and the employees are either completely clueless or purposely being vague as to if and when shipments will arrive. I spoke to one at the store yesterday and she said that this is all basically apple's fault because they are very strict about how many phones they ship to the stores

10. genkuro macrumors newbie

The red/green stock indicator is pretty anachronistic for Apple. Most online retailers have managed a completely automated inventory system and database since 2000. Failing that, Apple should have a temp employee count boxes each evening and post that in lieu of the mentos indicator. :rolleyes:

11. gts197 macrumors regular

thanks chris, those are the same stores I would be going to. it's a bummer they are sold out.

12. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

That would make little sense seeing as Apple is paid the equivalent of a third party retailer commission for each account activation, which not only includes the employees' cut, but additional marketing and overhead costs. So it's actually cheaper for AT&T to activate people in a corporate store.

Maybe there's a common sense explanation: not enough initial stock to go around. I doubt anyone anticipated that there would be this much sustained demand for the iPhone, nor was there an expectation that a million would be sold in one weekend. Apple's making the phones (or actually, their contracted manufacturer is), so if the stock runs low, it makes sense that their stores are going to get priority. AT&T provides the network access, but Apple controls the physical goods here.

13. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

The two AT&T stores in downtown Houston had no stock and no idea when they would get a shipment, likewise the two AT&T stores on Westheimer between 610 and the beltway had no stock, am going to try my luck at the Apple Store in the Galleria at 3:00 this afternoon in what will likely be a futile attempt but hey gotta try...

14. viggen61 macrumors 6502

I think I'm going to call Menlo Park before I leave work. If they still don't have any, I'll try my luck on Staten Island...

:apple::apple:

15. Wailord thread starter macrumors 6502

Time to bombard the poor AT&T employees with the question they probably say in their sleep...
    "Hi, do you have any iPhones in stock?"

16. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

Well if Apple/AT&T were smart about it there would be a (near) real time online availability tool with actual numbers per store, but no they want you to go into the store so they can try to convince you to pay up front and wait up to 10 days so they get their commission!

17. viggen61 macrumors 6502

I'm sure Apple has a completely automated and connected inventory database. It's just not available to the public.

And as for your second suggestion, that's probably what they're doing!

But posting a number is pretty useless. Not that the red/green indicator is much better. Green can indicate one or one hundred units.

Also remember, the online availability checker is live at 9:00 PM. Most Apple Stores don't close until 9:30 or 10:00 PM. It's possible they can sell the remainder of stock in that time.

THe lines will die down slowly. In a week or more, it'll be just like buying an iPod. Walk in, walk out.

18. Romanesq macrumors 6502a

Romanesq

feeling really lucky...

I was on the Apple website last nite. Bunch of states I checked were dead out including all of NJ. I drove down to Short Hills Mall, NJ Saturday morning after the local AT&T I went back to said at opening they only had 8GBs.

Get to the mall before it's 10:00 am opening and less than 20 people in line at the Apple Store. Was in and out with the 16GB in white. Ecstatic.

Was happy then and now feeling even more lucky. Don't know who I feel more sorry for, all the folks hunting or the Chinese folks back in China, assembling. :confused:

19. viggen61 macrumors 6502

Apple won't take pre-orders. That's only at AT&T.

Honestly, I'd rather have that option at an Apple Store. Leaves out the whole waiting on lines, and "do they have any" stress...

Or even order it through the online Apple Store, and have it shipped to my local store.

Having actual numbers per store would be just as useless as the colored dots. Either only represents a point in time. Live updating? Nice to have, but this is only the second product I've ever seen apple post any kind of availability for on their websites. It would take a pretty big investment just for the occasional product that engenders this type of response.

20. urraca macrumors newbie

I went to the apple store in Freehold, NJ today. I was even sneaky and used the mall's employee entrance, to get in before they opened. I was fourth in line.

Sat there from 9:30-11am, when the manager came out to tell us they didn't receive any phones today. Ugh. I'll try again tomorrow. I went on Monday and they sold their lost phone about 5 minutes before I got there at 11:30am, but supposedly they only got about 5 in.

I'll try again tomorrow.

21. Wailord thread starter macrumors 6502

Crap, 0-1... these are impossible to get! :confused::(

It's like the Wii all over again... only a lot harder.

22. zigmund555 macrumors member

4 of the 5 MD apple stores didn't get any phones in today. Blech. Apparently the Montgomery mall got a few white 16 GBs in but they had a line when I called a little before noon.

23. Wailord thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm trying again in an hour or two... they'll get a shipment, and damn it, it better contain iPhones! :p

24. sms0217ny macrumors regular

Just checked with a ATT store in midtown, they are now saying that DF could take 10 - 21 business days

25. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

I am waiting outside of the apple store here in Seattle. They have none, but are getting a shipment of something, iphones or just docks, who knows, but I am waiting to find otu.

Was going to take a quick look at mobile me and screen sharing, apples lcd server popped up.

Easiest password in the world. I am sharing the screen with it and trying to have fun with people. Wonder what I can make the screen do?