Tuesday Updates...Now, how to Sell Penryn MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by uiop., Oct 16, 2008.

1. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Well we all know that Apple released new MBPs on Tuesday (duh). I am a bit annoyed as I purchased my Penryn MacBook Pro back in July with intentions of keeping it for 4+ years, so I have made the decision that it would be in my best interest to upgrade to the latest and greatest. Now my question remains...what would be the best way to sell my 2.4ghz/4GB RAM/200GB 7200RPM HDD MacBook Pro? I'm not feeling too warm and fuzzy about eBay, but if that's the best way, then so be it.

What are the necessary procedures for selling a used notebook? I have many applications such as the entire Adobe CS3 Suite, and would like to keep that on there, but at the same time I certainly don't want the future owner recovering old files, email, etc.

Great thanks in advance.

2. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

the best plan would be to sell it to me for $500.00, but some of your other alternatives are Ebay, Craigslist, or Macrumors.

i would keep it personally, but to each his own.

good luck!

3. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

why sell?
    just go out and buy the current one.

if having the latest and the greatest is your mantra..
    i assume you have the money to back it up.

and you need to buy the 2.8 with the SSD if that's the case.
    and be ready for another " upgrade/update" after 6 months

i totally CANNOT see why the news is keeping on insisting that WE ARE in a Recession then going to a Depression..

just take a look at all the people lining at Apple Store.. and buying an MB or MB... and all the switchers from Penryn to the current one.

4. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Consumers will trade any amount of goods and services for one another.

In this case, Apple consumers will give up things like Sleep (to work More), Gas, Food, Electricity, and other non-necessities ;)

5. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

Ignore the previous self-righteous d-bags.

You should wipe the hard drive, using the install discs. You can have Apple Care transferred over to the new owner by calling/emailing them.

You will get top dollar on ebay, hands down. Unfortunately, it's rather annoying, plus fees. Craigslist is hit or miss, expect lots of lowballs, but if you're persistent it will sell. Other forums you're a member of might work. Keep in mind the refurb Penryns are $1349 on Apple's site, but many people don't know about that. I'd say you could still get around $1500 if it's mint. Good luck.

6. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

They're flat out lying to you. If we stands for the U.S. economy, that is. We could head into that direction, but let's see our economy recede first. ;)

7. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

I'm pretty much in the same boat...

I have a respectable MBP 15", 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM machine that is less than a year old and would likely meet my real computing needs for the coming 3-4 years; however, the problem is Apple keeps making these freaking awesome new machines that I can't resist...

It is doubtful that I'll be able to resist the new 15" MBP until it is "reasonable" upgrade time. One thing that might make me be reasonable for a few months is waiting for a bigger SSD that's not so expensive. But I can also foresee convincing myself to get the standard HD now, then upgrade to a SSD after they are bigger/cheaper.

My last laptop was the fastest 15" PPC before the switch to Intel. The resale value dropped so much after Intel machines hit the market, I just gave the PPC machine to a family member. It was was over $2k new. Now my current MBP that costed over 2k less than a year ago is likely not worth 1/2 that thanks of these new ones.

A TiBook I had before the PPC was my last Mac that had a fairly decent resale value. Since then keeping up to date has turned into quite an expensive hobby. Ironically because the new models are so much nicer, the resale value for used equipment seems to drop more than it used to.

8. uiop. thread starter macrumors 68020

uiop.

:D
    Tehe I would likely have an emotional breakdown if $500 was all I could get out of it.

Really now? I hope you would not be that rude to a person in real life.

Yeah I'm thinking eBay is the way to go right now.
    Damn you Apple...doubtful I could even break $1250 now. :eek:

9. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

to the OP:

sorry if i rub you the wrong way...
    just being REAL..

if you can't afford to have the latest and greatest machine everytime... then don't.
    Don't give your entire savings/ maxed out your card just to be " the ONE"

somewhat related to this:
    the Reason why the ECONOMY went so FAR down: people started buying houses that they can't AFFORD... and after that, begin to buy a 2nd house..
    as Americans, we should start RE-thinking our priority..

again, sorry if i rub you the wrong way:)

10. zsears macrumors newbie

Sell it

I just sold my 2.4Ghz Penryn Macbook Pro on ebay for $1450 so it shouldn't be too hard to get a decent price out of it.