Tuesday's MacBook - Revision A?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Kashchei, Oct 17, 2008.

1. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

I've often read in these forums that it is wise to avoid revision A machines. I will need a new machine soon--either today or in the spring--so I have the choice of buying now or waiting until the inevitable spring update. If Tuesday's MacBook is considered a revision A machine, I will wait until spring. If, on the other hand, it is not, I will happily purchase now.

Let me know your thoughts and thanks in advance.

2. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

4. Kashchei thread starter macrumors 65816

Kashchei

Is this based on the new one-piece frame, the change required for the inclusion of the Nvidia graphics chip and/or the faster system bus? I ask since I'm interested in where the threshold is for considering an upgrade really a rev. A product.

5. kolax macrumors G3

6. Kashchei thread starter macrumors 65816

Kashchei

EricNau was kind enough to let me know that he considers this new MacBook a revision A product. I initially thought it would not be since it shares so much of the architecture of the previous MacBook. My follow-up question concerns where the line is drawn in such cases. This is purely an academic question for me so that I don't have to post a something similar in the future.

7. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

I foresee the usual noobie problems and therefore will wait until the first revision, especially when (if) prices come down; after they phase out the WhiteBook.

8. yoppie macrumors 6502a

I consider this release to be a Rev. A

Why?

Well, I'm not an expert (9 mos. away from my three year Mac anniversary) but it appears that whenever a major redesign comes, the Mac community considers it to be a Rev. A.

There's probably more to it from a technology standpoint but from what I've witnessed, the design is the giveaway.

Case in point, the white MacBook released earlier this week. Even though it's new, people consider it a previous model.

9. sJv macrumors regular

The new Macbook is about as different from the previous Macbook as you can get. The main common pieces are the CPU (I think?) and SATA disks. The architecture is TOTALLY different with the NVidia chip. It is not using an Intel north and southbridge. This is also a brand spanking new NVidia chip that hasn't been used in any other system yet. It is using DDR3 with a much higher clock rate and faster front side bus. Even the LCD is different by using LED backlighting.

Yeah - this is definitely a Rev A product. I bought the Rev A MBP (which is what I'm typing this on) and it's been a good computer. I plan to replace it with a Rev A MacBook in the coming weeks. Applecare gives good peace of mind...

-steve

10. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

The combination of all of the above, actually. The entire system was redesigned, and that's what makes it a rev. A.