Tumi Ipad Case

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by mrcc, Apr 10, 2010.

1. mrcc macrumors regular

2. Radnor macrumors newbie

$65 for a plain, neoprene sleeve? Looks overpriced to me.

3. mrcc thread starter macrumors regular

because its tumi its never over priced. falls into the category of gucci ect.

4. jedolley macrumors 68000

I think you just made his point. You are paying for the name and the label, nothing else. Especially in this case where all we are talking about is a neoprene sleeve. This sleeve isn't going to be that much better or nicer (if at all), than the $20-$30 options that are out there (most think those are overpriced already).

5. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

6. s1m macrumors 6502

Actually the normal luggage is very well built and well designed rather than just being a label.

I hope they bring out a case like the apple case rather than just a sleeve.

7. Alchematron macrumors 65816

Alchematron

Tumi has good stuff but pricey

I hope they produce a iPad line

8. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

I didn't buy one, but I did check out the Tumi neoprene sleeve when I was case shopping for my MB 13". Had it fit, I would have bought it. The neoprene is far nicer than anything else on the market. It's denser and weightier without being stiff, sorta like the difference between lamb's wool and Merino.

9. schalliol macrumors regular

How about this?

Interesting thoughts. I agree that the Neoprene case is just a Neoprene case with a Tumi zipper and the product is overpriced.

Here's what I did:

I really like the iPad and right now it can be a conversation redirector from the topic at hand when you don't want it to be. So, I figured that I wanted a stealthy looking business case that would allow me the option of keeping the iPad hidden until I wanted to use it, but the common folios just wrapped in leather are kind of boring to me -- they're everywhere. Sometimes I just might be in a meeting and use paper, or at least people I'm in a meeting with will want me to. I don't really want to carry two things around with me, one for the iPad, and another for papers I might hand out/notes I might take, business cards I might provide.

I have a Tumi zippered letter pad I bought for $160 a number of years ago (still pricey, but I did have some certificates/credits). It's called FXT Deluxe Zip-around Letter Pad. I like that the exterior is ballistic nylon and leather, which I think fits well for a 30s technology business guy like me. I really do get whatever $160 = for me in "utils". They no longer sell it, but I bet you could find one if you want (the new ones are even more expensive and I don't like them as well). I really like it, but I don't use it every day, so I don't always have it with me when I find that I would like to use it.

The solution for me, put the iPad in the letter pad:
    • It zippers closed with great zippers to keep it from falling out, and besides the integrated exterior protection
    • The pad of paper and a bit of cardboard adds further protection
    • I don't have some ugly thing getting in the way of using my iPad when I actually want to use it

The SLR's out of town and I didn't have great lighting (or focus) on the iPhone, but you hopefully can get the idea:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So, what do you think? It's a little big, but I think it's a better use of space in my use case than lugging around a couple things and a new case adding more weight.

10. mrcc thread starter macrumors regular

a tumi luggage is built better than a cheap luggage at kholes or ross. itumi is known for luggage

11. christof macrumors 6502

You took the words out of my mouth... Tumi is known for their luggage—they're not known for laptop sleeves. Stick to folks that make laptop accessories if you want a laptop sleeve... If you're looking for luggage, I think Tumi is ok—their (Alpha series, the only line worth it) luggage is overpriced, their designs have gotten cheaper and their warranty doesn't cover airline damage (the most-likely damage to occur). As a road warrior, I use Briggs & Riley—awesome luggage that's almost as pricy, built countless times better and include an unconditional warranty... Heck: I've got 5 Briggs & Riley pieces as old as some of my Mac's that probably cost more than my combined iPhone/iPad/iPod investments. Unfortunately, these guys build luggage and not iPad-specific pieces; I haven't seen a single quality-luggage manufacturer build pieces specifically for iPhone or iPad.

And I can testify to their warranty: I've had two bags in need of repair. I luckily live close to their Moss Beach service center, and they've shipped bags back to me the next day after I drop them off—this means that they've repaired them and shipped them back THE SAME DAY I DROPPED THE PIECES OFF. Once, they even decided to upgrade me to a brand new bag (they update Baseline every year) since mine wasn't reparable. All of this only cost me a beautiful drive to Moss Beach; if you don't live close to a service center, your only cost is one-way shipping.... Alas, Tumi would NEVER do that, speaking from experience.

The only other luggage I'd consider is Hartmann's Tweed line. It's way more durable than ballistic nylon, but it costs an arm and a leg and only comes in...err, tweed color.

Yup, I'll say it: Tumi's a waste of money. If you really want to spend cash, choose a high-fashion ultra luxury brand (Hèrmes, Louis Vuitton, Goyard, Marc Jacobs, Chanel, etc.) instead. They're more likely than Tumi to repair a broken piece you purchase from one of their boutiques with no questions asked.