Tune Ranger and Supersync problem - Help!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by toro1966, Dec 12, 2010.

1. toro1966 macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I have been a mac person for several years and have found all hardware and software to work perfectly. That is until now...

I am trying to sync my two itunes libraries using Tune Ranger and Supersync (I have tried them both - though obviously not at the same time). The computers talk to each other no problem. I can see the itunes libraries no problem. I get the compare screen and can see all the discrepanices no problem. Then - in Supersync - I click synchronize and everything seems to work perfectly. Files are transferring and everything looks good. About 25-30 minutes later (it takes a while to transfer the files) I get errors saying "host is down" or "operation timed out."

This obviously means there is a communication issue over the network or on the computers. I initially thought one of them might be going to sleep and that was causing the problem. However, I verified that I have them both set to NOT go to sleep. I still have the same issue. Could this be a router or a cable modem issue?

All computers are running the very latest OS with updates. Thanks in advance for any help.

2. SuperSyncTech macrumors newbie

Hi!

I'm a support tech at SuperSync and wanted to give you a quick reply.

Assuming SuperSync is running on both Macs, I'd agree with you that this is a network issue. If these computers are connected to an Airport/WiFi based network, I'd start looking there. Sometimes Airport/WiFi connections are interrupted for interference, DHCP leases expiring, routers being reset, etc.

If you are a SuperSync customer, we want to help you use our product. I suspect this issue is not directly related to SuperSync but we can help you make sure SuperSync is running correctly so you can get your iTunes libraries synced with your Macs. Please contact us via our website ( http://www.supersync.com/ if you still need help with this issue.

FYI...

Timeout and 'host is down' errors are typically indicative a network or computer 'disappearing' from the network. For example, say you are transferring data to your other SuperSync computer and the other computer gets turned off, its ethernet cable disconnected, it's Airport/WiFi connection interrupted, etc, the communication with the 'host' (ie the the Mac that you're syncing with) is broken. This will result in transfers being timed out and someone reporting that the host is down. The problem could be on either computer though. Another possibility is SuperSync being quit on the other machine.

3. toro1966 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all of the help. I actually have been talking with a tech from supersync and the customer service has been fantastic.

I think we might have fixed the communications issue. The WPA group key on my older airport extreme router was set at 1 hour. I switched it to 1 day and voila. Seems to work good now. I have done several syncs since then so hopefully that fixed it. Great software!