Tunnelblick Fatal Error on Powerbook w/10.4?

filmbuff

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 5, 2011
Weird issue. I cannot get Tunnelblick working on my 12" Powerbook nomatter what I do. I got the only version available, 3.5.25 from their deprecated downloads page. Whenever I try to open it I get the message "Tunnelblick encountered a fatal error. Restarting Tunnelblick may fix this problem. The problem was: Received fatal signal 10.". I have tried uninstalling it with the uninstaller, reinstalling it, creating a new login to reinstall it, and opening opvn files directly. Always fails.

The weird thing is that I have an iBook G4 running the SAME copy of 10.4, using the SAME download of Tunnelblick and it works fine. Is there anything else I should try?

filmbuff

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 5, 2011
It's on 10.4.11. Everything is as up to date as you can get on Tiger.

timidpimpin

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2018
Cascadia
This is more of a guess... but it could be an issue with some third party kext. A kext that has nothing to do with Tunnelblick.

DeltaMac

macrumors G3
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
It's on 10.4.11. Everything is as up to date as you can get on Tiger.
Good...
The combo updater is still my suggestion, as it will recheck that everything about the system install is complete, and correctly installed. The combo updater has historically been known to fix odd issues that appear in OS X.
Even though you "already have that version", reinstalling the combo updater is a good troubleshooting step, and may even fix your issue without needing to do anything else.
(Tiger is also perhaps the last OS X system that I have experienced fixes for a variety of issues after doing a "Repair Permissions" in Disk Utility. This might be one of those, but it would be worth the few minutes that it needs, also as a troubleshooting step.
My first choice would be the combo updater :cool:

Reactions: Raging Dufus