Turbo Boost?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Goobley, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Goobley macrumors newbie

I do quite a lot of multi-threaded work (3d rendering and particle simulations). and have just returned from a short escapade over to a pc, which still sits under my desk and will help me render.
    I have just bought a refurb october 2011 MBP (i7 2675qm and 512mb 6750). Now as far as I'm aware this machine should turbo boost, even when all cores are in use (according to wiki the TB multipliers are 6/6/8/9) however I have no sure way of measuring if this kicks in. I've tried maccpuid, but I don't know if it works, if it does even on a single threaded cinebench the machine won't turbo, which would be rather disappointing. The machine is of course plugged in during all this.

Does anybody have any way of measuring TB? Or if you're sure that it works I'd love to hear too, because the difference between 2,2 and 2,8Ghz for particle sims is non negligible.

Thanks in advance for any help or thoughts you may be able to offer

Chris

2. PAPO macrumors 6502

if you're using all cores you won't get Turbo Boost, that's just the way Turbo Boost is designed, if your using 2 cores out of 4 you'll get some turbo but it's mainly for single threaded tasks

3. Goobley thread starter macrumors newbie

According to wiki one can get some turbo regardless of number of cores in use:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...22Sandy_Bridge_.28Quad-Core.29.22_.2832_nm.29

But maybe it doesn't work the same way on mbps due to heat constraints...
    What surprised me though was no increase according to maccpuid with only maccpuid and cinebench open whilst doing a single threaded run...

I'm in need of a few more opinions on this mystery.