Turbo boost

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by etsi, Aug 13, 2012.

1. etsi macrumors regular

Hello,

I'm looking for an application to monitor Turbo boost. there is only a windows application from intel. Is there any app that will monitor real time the cpu frequency ?

2. Poki macrumors 6502a

Poki

Nope, there's no such app for OS X. But the windows app shows the real value when used in bootcamp (not in a virtualization!).

3. Mengele macrumors member

Ditto. All the mac apps will only show the rated frequency, not the actual.

4. The-Pro macrumors 65816

Doesnt exist for mac, ive searched alot, found about 10 application of which none were able to show the real time frequency.
    Its not really necessary anyway. Tell us what CPU you have and I or someone else can tell you the turbo boost frequencies if only one core is active, two cores etc.

5. Mengele macrumors member

The problem is, thats not how OSX works. It spreads the thread load evenly across all CPUs all the time. There is never a CPU at 0%, even at idle with absolutely nothing going on they all run 1-4%.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

There was one app that could do it, Coolbook. I'm not sure if it's been updated for Lion or Mountain Lion. Another one might be CPU-X. It's a port of CPU-Z, but it hasn't been updated since 2007/2008. If you can find a copy of it, you could try it as well.

PS: CPU's in Mac OS X systems can and do run with 0% usage on at least one core. If there's only two active threads and four logical cores, two will be at zero percent. It's rare, but it does happen.

7. paulrbeers macrumors 68040