Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MalcolmJID

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 1, 2005
England
Right guys, I need a new car. I'm looking for a turbo diesel, under £1000 (hopefully around the £800 mark). Needs to be group 5 on insurance or less so I don't have to pay anymore :p Features aren't important, though P.A.S. and C.L would be much appreciated :D

Can you believe a 16 year old Ford Fiesta 1.1L is a group 5 insurance? :eek:

But yea, I like the look of the Corsa 1.5TD GLS, though I've heard tales that 'coz the turbo is right next to the alternator, it can often fry the alternator?

Cheers guys!

Karl

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
You're REALLY limiting yourself with a group 5 for a start, have you considered only having 3rd Party Fire and Theft cover? there's little point in ponying up for fully comp on a a £800-£1k car, because after your excess, and insurance companies only paying book, you'd only get a few hundred back in the event of a loss anyway.

What about a 106 or a Saxo??? PSA Peugeot Citroën make the best diesels in the world for a start, and they know how to make cars handle... (something that has always eluded Vauxdull). ;)

How about a Rover 200 SDI (96-99)??? ignore the slightly duffer image and you get a solid car, with an incredibly perky chassis (though I'm not sure of the insurance group).

If it were I... I'd forget the idea of a turbo diesel, and pick up an early 2000's Ford Ka from an auction, reasonably froogle... but sublime to drive, still fresh looking too. ;)

MalcolmJID

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 1, 2005
England
If i said up to group 7 then? I actually like the Citroen Xantia's, 1.9TD, but they're all high mileage for my price range, and would push my insurance premium up.

The reason I said group 5 for now is that, if I were to purchase the car before next april (when the policy is due for renewal), then I wouldnt have to pay extra for insurance, on top of the cost of a new car.

I'm only on 3PFT at the moment anyway ;) (still costing me £1350 :( )

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.