Turbo sim in 3G success thread

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by photomotoguy, Sep 2, 2008.

1. photomotoguy macrumors newbie

I've been reading a lot on iphones and i'm wondering why people are waiting on a software unlock when they can get the turbo sim which many people have been reporting success. I would like to start a thread on turbo sims and its success, Or if it hasn't worked for you. I am about to purchase my iphone and the new ones now have v2.0.2. if you have used turbo sim with success or failure please post what version of iphone 3g you are using. We can all really use this info. thanks in advance.

please post the following:
    Type of sim mod ie.turbo sim
    Version of iphone 3g
    what part of the country are you using your iphone

2. stevebook macrumors member

I'm also wondering the same thing.

Wouldn't a Turbo sim be a much more attractive option? No firmware modification and easy to undo.

3. bigscotal macrumors 6502

bigscotal

Got a couple of friends messing about witht his sort of thing on their 3G handsets.

One is using an X-Sim (firmware 3.0) on Orange UK. All is well when on 2G, but when 3G is turned on a few issues creep in. No incoming calls when using Safari, and SMS's only arrive if the 3G is actually active ie. using Safari.

Two other folk are having a go with Rebelsim (firmware V33) on the Vodafone UK network. One of them is having pretty similar issues to the X-Sim with the 3G turned on. Oddly the other Rebelsim seems to be performing pretty much ok as far as we can tell so far, and have no idea what the difference between the 2 is?

4. photomotoguy thread starter macrumors newbie

this is good info since in the US tmobile customers will not be benefiting from 3g due to different freq. how about signal issues?

5. stiphone macrumors regular

This is an excellent thread. I'm actually planning to buy a RebelSim card to fully unlock my 3G iPhone regardless of the version as I travel overseas for quite a bit. Would love to get more information on it especially people who have tried it and have great success in using it.

Would buying the Sim Card itself suffice or is it better to get the whole package. i.e The Cutter + the programmer?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

6. Inukami macrumors 6502

Well you need the cutter for sure in order to make everything work(unless you want to cut the sim incorrectly and buy a new one). As far as the programmer its used to improved stability and functioning of the smart sim card.

7. bigscotal macrumors 6502

bigscotal

I have managed to cut 3 or 4 SIM cards using a standard hole-punch without any problems to be honest. As long as you carefully make sure it is lined up then you shouldn't have any problems. I turned the hole-punch upside down witht the base removed, so that I could see exactly when the SIM card was lined up with the hole correctly.

As for the programmer, there are still issues with the 3G aspect of things which the Rebelsim guys are currently trying to iron out with firmware updates, so the programmer will most likely be worth buying. The one that was sent out to the fellow I know was an "Orga Cardmouse", just in case you want to see if you can find them cheaper anywhere.

:)

8. Nicholas.C macrumors 6502a

i got two turbo sims, I've unlocked some of my locked phones.. but I don't need these anymore.

9. bigscotal macrumors 6502

bigscotal

Something that may be worth mentioning to folk considering using any of these devices is how damn difficult they are to actually get into, and more importantly back out of, an iPhone.

Having watched a few folk I know dabble with them, they have resorted to lightly sandpapering the SIM card itself to reduce it's thickness ever so slightly, and have even taken a very small amount off the top of the little chip on the adaptor card itself.

Even at that, it's an incredibly tight fit in the phone, and it's definately been a good idea to put a piece of tape of some sort over the whole sim/adaptor duo and leave it sticking slightly out the top of the phone, as this can be used to help pull the SIM tray back out.

One of the guys didn't use this method the first time he tried it, and upon trying to get his Rebelsim back out, managed to break the SIM eject mechanism in the handset and now has to sort of "hook" the tray back out.

Just a word of warning! :eek:

10. jennbrenn7 macrumors newbie

Help!

So, what is the proper cutting method? I don't have the cutter nor the programmer. Just bought a 3G iPhone with the Turbo SIM card and still cannot get it to work. I'm getting "SIM failure" message. What is the proper way to cut it and insert a SIM card with the Turbo SIM without "the cutter nor the programmer?"