Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JmChile

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2010
Hi,

How much faster can a i5 3.6 Processor get with TurboBoost? Will the speed increase??

Also, the virtual cores created by Hyper Threading what can those be used for? Will they make my iMac faster??

Thanks!

TMRaven

macrumors 68020
Nov 5, 2009
That particular model of cpu dynamically clocks itself up to 3.8ghz in dual core operation whenever it needs to, using hyperthreading.

The virtual cores created using hyperthreading will be used whenever there's a program or task that is fully capable of scaling to 4 threads. The performance gain is around up to 20-30%, depending on how fully those fake cores are used.

JmChile

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2010
and what about TurboBoost?
What does it do?

so compared to i5 quad core its not so different?

TMRaven

macrumors 68020
Nov 5, 2009
My bad I meant to say turboboost for my initial statement. It dynamically overlocks itself to 3.8ghz.

Quad cores (lynnfield series in particular) have more headroom to overclock, so you get much greater clock rate increases out of it. The lynnfield i7 870, for example, can from its 2.93 default clock all the way to 3.6ghz clock rate while in single core and 2.53ghz while in dual core.

JmChile

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2010
thanks!!

what apps take real advantage of hyper threading and/or Quad core?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.