TurboTax 2009 Arrived

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by paduck, Nov 20, 2009.

1. paduck macrumors 6502

I just got my copy of TurboTax 2009 in the mail yesterday. A couple of quick observations.

1. Instead of a TurboTax 2009 folder as in years past, there is just the application. It seems like the supporting files are buried inside there and you can't see them. This is probably a good thing.

2. Product seems to work as in the past. It imported my data from last year and I am ready to go.

3. Clearly the forms are not standardized yet and some of the tax details are probably still being worked out in Congress. The state version isn't available until the end of December.

5. You can do up to five federal eFiles without charge. Hurrah! Glad Intuit figured out that gouging people for "family" packages isn't a winner.

Still, I have a good jump on entering my data and it looks like I have my withholding set right.

No terrible bugs, although a couple of the selections don't seem to work as you would expect (you have to do "New" entries in the dependent care section instead of clicking on a particular dependent's name - for some reason it brings up the wrong dependent if you click on the name.

2. EHPhelps macrumors newbie

import turbotax from pc to mac

Q: If I buy the turbotax mac version for 2009, will i be able (and if so how) to import the 2008 taxinfo from the pc turbotax?

3. danny_w macrumors 601

I just installed TurboTax 2009 and found a very glaring MAJOR problem: it is not designed for SL! I say this because when you drag it to the Applications folder as the installer asks it will not update due to not enough privileges (unless you are running as as administrator, which is a bad idea). To remedy this I uninstalled and installed into my private Applications folder instead. This is a change that I have noticed in SL that affects many apps that are not SL aware. I just hope everything else works OK. Be warned!