Turbotax 2013 edition

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by maflynn, Jan 3, 2014.

1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

With January now underway, its time for those who live in the US to think about filing tax returns. I've been using Turbotax for many years but this year I noticed a change.

First I used to buy the boxed edition from staples or walmart and it was cross platform. This year it seems they split the platforms and are only selling the PC version. Can anyone confirm this?
    turbotax pc.png

Also I noticed that its in the app store this year - The pricing for the MAS version is much higher then if I went and bought the PC version
    turbotax.png

Heck if I bought it for download on their site it would cost me less
    tt_online.png

I'm not sure how this stacks up against the competition but for the 2013 tax filing, what other tax software is good and offers the same ease of use?

2. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

3. MacTCE macrumors 6502

Everything I've found seems to point to that.

4. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

I did some exploring on amazon in the Q&A section regarding TurboTax, and found this reply (as to whether the "boxed version" contained both the PC and Mac versions of the software):
    =========
    The CD version of TurboTax includes BOTH Mac and Windows versions. If you elect to download the software, you have to select either Windows or Mac, not both.

Bob Meighan, VP TurboTax
    =========

5. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

6. saberahul macrumors 68040

Depending on what kind of filing you need to do, you may be able to use the 1040EZ for free on the iOS platform.

7. MacTCE macrumors 6502

You may want to check with your bank as well. My credit union gives this software to all it's members at no charge.

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I have been using the Amazon download version the last few years and it works just fine. It is handy because Amazon stores the app in your digital download library, so you can go back and retrieve a prior year's app if you need to.

9. FoxFifth macrumors 6502

I have used TaxACT since 2008. http://www.taxact.com I can't compare it to Turbotax today but when I switched I found it easier to use. I have a fairly complicated return with investment income and sales. I was originally suspicious of the low price; their highest priced option is $17.99 (Federal + State + efile for both). They have been charging me only $13.99 as a returning user -- something that doesn't seem to be advertised and contrary to the usual approach. You don't pay until after you have finished your return and are ready to print and file so you can try it for free. I have only used the online version; they do have a download version but not for Mac.

10. MacTCE macrumors 6502

I've heard nothing but good things from TaxAct as well.

11. Oldmanmac macrumors 6502

12. FoxFifth macrumors 6502

It imports from my previous year TaxAct; I haven't tried it but the following gives information on importing from TurboTax and H&R Block At Home: http://www.taxact.com/support/933/importing-from-another-tax-program/?txtSearchValue=import%20turbotax

If you go to the following support site and search for "import" there is information on other types of importing including stock information from brokers. http://www.taxact.com/tsupport/index.asp

13. GloriaBrown macrumors newbie

GloriaBrown

I have used several other tax preparation software packages...but I keep coming back to Turbo Tax. It's so easy to use and the system answers all your questions in ways that ordinary people can understand! The 2013 turbo tax coupon is also available now.It's clear, well laid out and the software makes it very easy to enter and update your information.

14. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I finally bit the bullet and got turbo tax myself. I'm about 80 to 90 percent done, waiting for my wife's W2s and one 1099 form to be generated and/or mailed. Most of the stuff I need is now available electronically so I don't need to wait for the mailman :D

I'm hoping to have the return filed to the IRS by the end of the month

15. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

Some years ago I got fed up with Intuit and switched to H&R Block. Turbo tax might be a little better but not having to put up with Intuit's crap is worth it. My returns have also gotten simpler in recent years so I don't need major features.

16. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I was going to try them but some of the intuit backed off some of those stupid moves and its been fairly consistent for me.

I'm waiting on one W2 and then I can file my tax returns, I have everything waiting to go :D

17. TonyK macrumors 6502a

TonyK

My first experience was with Turbo Tax and missed something that caused me no end of grief with the state and feds.

So when I finally decided to use computer tax software again, after a long time, I used Kuplinger's which was later purchased by H&R Block.

Then about 2 or 3 years ago H&R Blocked drop the Kuplinger's name and made changes that caused me issues and I switched to Turbo Tax. Right now Turbo Tax is what I am using.

I don't trust online systems so I always purchase the CD.