TurboTax anyone?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Melrose, Apr 5, 2008.

1. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

I've just filed my taxes (Fed and State) via TurboTax from Intuit - they offered a free Federal filing this year, so I tried it.

Last year I got $70 back from the Fed - I was thrilled; However this year after going through TurboTax they say I'll get over $700 back :D

Does anyone use it/used it or had any experiences with it (bad or good)?

thanks...

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Used it for years and always had a good experience
    Never used anything else

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Yep, use it every year. Works well for my wife and me.

4. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

No problems whatsoever.

$2000 refunded between Fed and NYS

5. shecky Guest

shecky

i have used it for years in the past, but this year my taxes were more complex with schedule C income and deductions, etc... and for some reason turbotax would not account for some of my deductions properly, so i ended up doing it by hand with PDFs from the irs.gov website. took about 20 minutes that way. turbotax is great but if you sort of know what line items you want things to go into, the way they use "natural language" to ask you questions can actually be kind of confusing instead of helpful.

having said that i do think its a great product. unfortunately (or fortunately) now that i own an incorporated business, starting with my 2008 return my accountant is going to have to do it all.

6. The Past macrumors 6502

I agree with shecky. It is a very good app and used it for five years now. But watch out and watch out. This year it missed $4000 in deductions, even though all the information was right there. I had to delete those and add again and what do you know? Now it sees the $4000 deductions.

First year I am unhappy with it. Otherwise pretty good.

7. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I was able to import my W2, my Credit Union info and my stock info directly

Very nice and effective, saved me a lot of headaches

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

8. Melrose thread starter macrumors 604

Melrose

The reason I ask is that this year (my first time using it) it caught an almost $430 credit/deduction thing that I would have missed, and then on the state, whereas last year I made the same amount and have no additional deductions or expenses to write off, ended up paying - this year, TurboTax caught whatever and I'll get $129 back from state.

So it's more than paid for itself this year, but I figured there had to be a cloud for the silver lining. I guess it's fortunate I have no deductions, right?

Thanks for the feedback all :)

9. danny_w macrumors 601

I'veused it for many years. I had a fling with TaxCut the one year that Intuit insisted on using product activation, but they rescinded that the next year and I have been with them ever since. I got over $4000 back this year too (I know, it's probably dumb to let the IRS have my money free for a year, but it makes for a nice vacation!).

10. dopey220 macrumors 6502

dopey220

My mom uses it to do all my family's taxes. No complaints. Although, this year, I'm a 1099 employee so there's no chance of a refund (for this job at least). Bummer.

11. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

Used it since I got my first job in 2002. I'm in college now, but I doubt I'll ever move away from it. Completely happy especially with how it handled me working in two different states without any headaches.

12. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

It missed a bunch of business deductions for me this year. They really buried the question about whether you have any business expenses. What business doesn't have expenses?

Lesson: you can't expect the tax program to do it all for you. You need to do some homework on your own. It's still handy because it does all the math for you -- in my book it's worth it because of that alone.

13. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

The more complex your taxes, the more you need to pay attention (duh, I know). But for the vast majority of us who have simple filings, it is quick, neat and clean. The imports this year for me were incredibly helpful. W2, Stocks, Credit Union. Plus the import of the previous year's info. I was done in a snap.

But mine is a simple deal, others may not be.

Woof, Woof – Dawg [​IMG]

14. uly macrumors newbie

Taxcut was pretty good this year.

Taxcut for Mac was just like the Windows version I used last year. I liked how it imported info from Address Book and it worked fine with Windows formatted tax files from last year. Was done in about an hour, got the whole thing for $39 including federal/state e-file.

15. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I've used it for both our federal and state tax returns for the past three years, and it's so much less stressful than when I used to do our taxes "by hand". Highly recommended, especially if you have a reasonably uncomplicated financial situation (as we do).