Turn 1 iTunes library into 2?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by alpha752, Mar 10, 2011.

1. alpha752 macrumors newbie

I'm new to Mac and iTunes, so forgive me if this is stupid.

Currently I have 1 iTunes account/library on a windows computer that my wife and I share. I have an iPhone and she has an iPod. I just ordered a new MacBook air, and want to put my iTunes on it so I can sync my phone, but leave her stuff on the windows system.

Is there a way I can copy my iTunes library onto my new MacBook, saving all my music and apps so I can sync my phone and leave her stuff (just music) on the other computer? The library's don't have to sync, once their separate I dont care if my stuff is on the windows computer or not.

Thanks!

2. dknightd macrumors 6502

Probably the easiest way is to copy the entire library. Then delete the stuff you don't want, and have the wife do the same.

3. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Copying will work, but IMO, an easier, more user friendly method is to set up "Home Sharing" in iTunes, on both computers, and select what you want and import it directly into iTunes. I tried the Home Sharing method yesterday while setting up a new PC for my wife, and it is simple and quick.

4. alpha752 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, so basically all I have to do is get my itunes folder onto the new computer someway (Homeshare or flash drive or something), sign in with my apple account, and resync my phone to the new computer?

Im pretty sure no matter what, ill have to basically wipe my iphone and set it up again, but as long as all my apps and stuff transfer over, im fine with that.

I thought it would be more complicated.

Thanks!

5. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

You wont have to wipe your phone or lose anything. If you know exactly what to copy (to make it work correctly) copying is okl. If you aren't sure, use home sharing.

Another way that may even be easier for you, is to connect your phone to the "new" itunes (if a sync starts, cancel it immediately), right click on your phone in the left pane of itunes and select "transfer purchases".