Turn a mac browser into internet explorer? Might be asking the question wrong.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by NYU02, Apr 21, 2009.

1. NYU02 macrumors regular

Ok, I might be asking the question wrong but here is my dilemma. The only reason I need windows on my mac is for a program that is run through internet explorer only. It won't work on firefox or anything else. It was certified for I.E. - I forget the minimum version it is certified for but the old, old I.E. for mac is too old and won't work. SO.....

Is there a way to turn a mac browser into functioning like internet explorer?

Thanks,
    NYU02

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Open Safari, Develop Menu, User Agent, pick an IE.

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

4. NYU02 thread starter macrumors regular

tallest skil,
    I tried that (thanks I didn't know it existed!!) BUT it is showing showing a blank white page? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,
    NYU02

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

It probably requires an ActiveX plugin ... try my post above.

6. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Changing the user-agent only make the page think your browser is IE, it doesn't give Safari the ability to act like IE, e.g., it doesn't gain the ability to know how to process ActiveX. The IE4OSX or CrossOver's IE is likely your best bet, but I won't guarantee it'll work for what the page needs.

7. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

Hate to say it, but this is what Parallels is good for... or an old PC.

8. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

Sorry to sound nosey, but what app are you tryin to run?

9. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

Any webpage/program that only runs on IE shouldn't be on the internet. :D

Sorry I have no answer to your question. Only thing I can say is to run Windows on a VM.

10. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

NOT that i ever use IE, but what about www.me.com not working properly with IE? Its a bit hypocritical to spit at Microsoft for this.

As much as I love them :apple:.inc is no defferent that other corporation

11. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

I wasn't really spitting at Microsoft... just saying that a webpage should work regardless of the browser. And I never said it's OK for me.com to not work properly on IE. Apple should make it work on all of 'em (something tells me though that the real problem isn't Apple, its IE). Me.com is a very high-tech website and, well, IE is kinda living in the past.

12. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

I would love to see a detailed tech analysis about why Me.com doesn't work with IE. How complicated could that be? GMail supports IE, I don't believe me.com is any more complicated than gmail.

13. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

You could activate Safari's Debug menu and change the user agent to Internet Explorer.

14. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

u really should read whats already in this thread, this is not a long discussion after all.

15. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/7A280f Safari/525.20)

The issues with me.com probably have more to do with SproutCore than they do with Apple. It's a framework originally made for Safari (I think).

OP, sounds like an Active X issue like others have said. Unfortunately, you'll need real IE for that, no spoofing.

16. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

It might be. But SproutCore officially does support IE 7. And Im not sure if IE 6 is doing much different than IE 7 in terms of javascript.

Also, SproutCore is not originally created for safari, it was originally created for spoutit's mailroom application. Apple jumped in afterward, since its an OSS project. and It still is.

17. sd2009 macrumors 6502

Learn what a user agent is.

Your only options are: Get an app which doesn't suck (recommended option), use parallels to run IE or download IES4OSX.

Most people who use Me.com are Mac Users anyway. Apple shouldn't need to waste hundreds of hours of work getting Me.com to work properly with a non-standards-compliant browser. AFAIK Apple don't prevent you from using IE on Me.com, it just displays a warning that it may not work correctly.
    And gmail is so different from Me.com you cannot even compare.

In fact, its about time lots of major sites drop support for an 8 year old browser.

18. danny_w macrumors 601

While it is probably true that most me.com users are also Mac users does not mean that they always have access to their Macs. What about if the Mac user is at work where they require Windows computers and they are locked down so that you cannot install anything else (banks, law offices, many other examples)? Or what about if they are at a hotel in a distant city without their Mac, and the hotel only provides locked-down Windows computers running IE (most likely IE6)? Just because you haven't been in such a situation doesn't mean that others have not. Apple's forums are ablaze with such examples.

And yes, I do wish sites would quit requiring IE, but the fact is that a very large number of business related sites do exactly that. ADP Totalsource is a good example; it 'sort of' works with Safari or FireFox if you change the user agent, but not enough to be really useful. And ADP is a very large provider of paychecks and hr services. Fortunately for me IE6 runs well enough under Crossover Office that I can get by.

19. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

LOL, probably. Can't believe I missed that :rolleyes:

A browser user agent is exactly what I said it was.

20. sd2009 macrumors 6502

Changing a user agent doesn't mean pages will be rendered as if you were using that browser.
    The web app doesn't work with Firefox or anything else, he said.

21. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

A browser user agent is the identity that the browser portrays to a certain website. It doesn't change rendering, the only real use for it is when a site disallows a particular browser.

22. jon08 macrumors 65816

Where exactly is this Develop Menu thing? I couldn't find it on my Safari, and even when I went to Preferences - Advanced, it was nowhere to select??

23. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

You need to enable the Debug menu. Google for it, there's a terminal command you can enter to enable the menu.

24. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

In Safari 4, you enable it by clicking the box in Safari Preferences>Advanced>Show Develop menu in men bar.

In earlier versions, type this into Terminal.app

defaults write com.apple.Safari IncludeDebugMenu 1