Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Animated GIFs have become a staple of the internet. Invented in 1987, the looping, soundless video clips can be found everywhere online, from social media networks to messaging platforms. They're often used to express emotions, communicate ideas, or just make people laugh.

gif-image.jpg

Because they are so short, GIF files are quick to load and they play automatically, so they communicate what you want instantaneously and without effort on the viewer's part. What's more, thanks to Apple's Shortcuts app, you can turn video clips into GIFs quickly and easily on your iPhone and iPad without even having to download anything.

The following steps show you how it's done.
  1. Open the Shortcuts app.
  2. Using the Gallery tab, search for "Video to GIF," tap the shortcut in the results, then tap Add Shortcut.
  3. Run the shortcut by tapping its card in the My Shortcuts tab.
    video-to-gif1.jpg

You'll be presented with a list of videos from your photo library that you can turn into GIFs. Choose the clip that you want to convert.
  4. If the video is too long, you'll be prompted to trim it down by dragging the chevrons on either end of the clip. After that, tap Save.
    Tap the Share button below the preview to Save Image or choose a sharing method. Once you're finished, tap Done.
    video-to-gif2.jpg
If you want more control when making your own GIFs, consider using a dedicated GIF creation tool such as GIPHY. The app is free to download and includes additional options including stickers and effects to apply to your creations.

Article Link: Turn a Video into a GIF on iPhone and iPad

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2018
Weird you need to use the Shortcuts and install or create a shortcut for this. This could be much more simple.
While Shortcuts is a great idea for letting you customize these kinds of actions, the most popular and useful ones should all be integrated into iOS by default years ago (with the option to easily un-toggle them in Settings).

Most smartphone users understand things like gifs and want to turn videos or photos into gifs and share them.

But they don't understand what Shortcuts are and how you add and use them, or why making a gif isn't just another option when tapping "Share".

Having to open an app, Shortcuts, and go through this process of looking up shortcuts and adding them is unintuitive and should be reserved for more complex actions.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
Why not use mp4 videos without audio track. Compression is so much better. Much smaller file size.
That’s pretty much what the internet is doing now anyway :) Most places that say they’re showing gifs are just showing mp4 videos without audio tracks. The MP4’s are SO much smaller AND the decompression is handled by dedicated hardware such that it’s a good deal for the server (far smaller file sized to be stored/delivered) AND a good deal for the consumer that they’re mp4’s.

Pretending to be the desiccated husk of what ONCE was gif. :D

Last edited:

Jonathan2019

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2019
I prefer PlumeriaGIF . It's web based for mobile and desktop and free with no account to set up. Also I find it easy to write personalized messages in a jiffy. My favorite feature is using the 3D jigsaw puzzle piece with fireworks.

Reactions: macinfo

antnythr

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2020
I wish I could insert a colour filled box over text on memes to hide text and then insert my own text box on top. The photos app always places the text below the box, so I always just end up going to some meme generator website instead.

Edit: I just tried with 17.5 and it’s actually doing what I want it to do. Not sure when that was actually fixed.

Last edited:

iPhoneFan5349

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2021
While Shortcuts is a great idea for letting you customize these kinds of actions, the most popular and useful ones should all be integrated into iOS by default years ago (with the option to easily un-toggle them in Settings).

Most smartphone users understand things like gifs and want to turn videos or photos into gifs and share them.

But they don't understand what Shortcuts are and how you add and use them, or why making a gif isn't just another option when tapping "Share".

Having to open an app, Shortcuts, and go through this process of looking up shortcuts and adding them is unintuitive and should be reserved for more complex actions.
It’s because this is not what shortcuts would be about. Shortcuts should be a macro like option. It’s supposed to just automatize any action you could do yourself. As far as I know, there’s no way for me to create a gif so how can there be a shortcut?

Radin.Y

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2011
Michigan
It is slow and really low quality GIF 🤦‍♂️
I wish it would provide options for quality and size

Icehawk

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2008
I'm lost.
This is cool. Would be nicer if it was in the logical place: Photos. With options, like others have said.

Last edited:

coffeemilktea

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2022
Well, this is definitely a LOT more convenient than opening Terminal and using ffmpeg like I'm still stuck on Linux. 😩

JungleNYC

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2014
Shortcuts needs a revamp. So frustrating when you sequence actions that should work, but it falls apart due to unexpected ordering of events. Also, the interface just sucks.
This is where I think AI integration would be super helpful. Literally NAVIGATING the OS and helping troubleshoot workflows, preferences, bugs, etc, would be priceless:

"Yo, Siri: what's the easiest way to make an animate GIF out of this video?"
"Siri, why isn't my Automation working?"
"Hey Siri…my computer won't auto-sleep. Can you check my settings and see what might be the problem?"

Reactions: SantaFeNM

skir

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2017
Russia
You did heard that messenger services convert gifs back to videos, because video formats are now so much more effective, right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.