Turn auto-correct off without turning spell check off

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by prometheus1981, Jan 26, 2011.

1. prometheus1981 macrumors newbie

Hey Guy's, is there a hack that would allow me to turn the anoying auto-correct feature of the iphone off without turning the spell check option off?

Right now (as you all may know) if you turn off auto-correct (replace the words), it automatically turns off the spell check (red squiggly line) feature and you cannot have the spell check option on until you first turn on the auto-correct feature :mad:.

2. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

Apple needs to consider completely revamping their 4 year old keyboard.

Other platforms have smart keyboards that learn and are more flexible than the outdated iOS keyboard.

When Apple????? :confused:

3. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

4. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

5. prometheus1981 thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually, I like the keyboard itself because it's not bulky and it does not hurt my fingers like my old BlackBerry did.

I love it how they ask for the Mac OS you have instead of the iOS version on the actual device.

6. Pomeless macrumors regular

Nice link. I think I have to fav. that!! Maybe we flood it!!

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

WTF? Do you ever use an iPhone?

If you type the word once, and hit the (X) to get rid of the auto-correct, iPhone learns it.
    If you type a word twice, iPhone learns it.

Is that difficult?

BTW, tens of millions of iOS users would disagree that it's the worst keyboard ever. What a load of FUD.

8. Grayburn macrumors 68000

Grayburn

9. hismikeness macrumors regular

I prefer the portrait to the landscape, and I have big thumbs. Exactly right, that the keyboard will learn phrases. Plus, out of respect for whoever might be reading your typing, throw in a quick review before hitting send.

10. himesh macrumors regular

I find that quite annoying too but I do agree that it is very easy to type on anyway. Much better than that swype rubbish anyway.

11. onepoint macrumors 6502a

onepoint

I get auto-corrected to "he'll" a few times per day, after hitting the (X) to get rid of the auto-correct each time. IPhone doesn't learn it.

Is that difficult? WTF?

12. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

I think "he'll/hell" is an exception.

The reason (I think) the iPhone doesn't learn it it's because it's easier to just click the x when the iPhone suggests "he'll" and you want to type "hell" than having to look for the apostrophe when you want to type "he'll". Basically it's just easier in general to have "he'll" as default.

13. onepoint macrumors 6502a

onepoint

Well in that case, I'm glad the brain trust made this decision for me. I didn't realize they were actually making my life easier. I'll just have to type "he'll" more often and it will come to me ;)

All joking aside, I have a feeling it's because of the word itself: "hell". My phone doesn't correct "shell" to "she'll" automatically.