Turn by turn and battery depletion

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by dan1000, Sep 23, 2012.

1. dan1000 macrumors newbie

Turn by turn worked great for me yesterday on my 5, on a trip of about 35 minutes out and 45 minutes back.

BUT...

After that much usage, I had only about 20% battery left (started with 100%). I reached for the iPhone charger I keep in the car, and then realized I had been "struck by lightning" (the incompatible connector, that is ).

I think in order to be a serious in-car navigational aid, two issues must be addressed:

- Needs to be connected to power
    - Needs to be able to send spoken audio through bluetooth

Dan

2. globality macrumors member

I still like offline navigation app such as Garmin or Tomtom. Consumes much less power.

3. 80s Fan macrumors member

I tried turn-by-turn yesterday too. And I really like it. Regarding the battery, I did find one thing that will help and found it by accident. After I got on the highway and had 30 some miles to go until the next turn, I turned off the screen showing 30 miles of no turns would kill my battery. I was REALLY impressed with two features:

- If you click the home button when the screen is off, instead of showing the usual time, date, etc., it shows you the map in motion and how many miles until the next turn. So you can keep the screen off in these long stretches to save battery life....And....

- My phone came to life all by itself about 2 miles before the turn off. It stayed on while I was getting off the highway and showed me where to turn. Stayed on another minute or so and went back to screen off all by itself until about 2 miles before the next turn.

I was really blown away by this and this makes me think Apple is really onto something. I know the Maps are taking a beating but this is a pretty solid feature.

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

When traveling with my Garmin Nuvi, I always have it connected to the car's power.

5. figaro331 macrumors member

figaro331

Connection to a satellite depletes battery.

I'm not agree with you since satellite connection consumes more battery power not offline navigation. I'm using Navigon on my iPhone which has 2.5 gb North America maps already downloaded on the device. Device constantly looking for satellite consumes significant amount of battery.:):):)

6. uhaas macrumors 6502

uhaas

Mine is going through Bluetooth. The only exception is if I have the Bluetooth device connected to more source at a time (iPhone & iPad).

Works for me on Jawbone ICON.

7. JesalTV Guest

I've used it on 4 trips now, flawless each time. Even knew some shortcuts that Google didn't, seriously!

But yes, battery life is a bit of a drain.

8. 80s Fan macrumors member

Does it not send spoken audio through Bluetooth?? As I posted above, I do like it but I did notice I was getting no audio and wondered why. I do have Bluetooth set up in my car and didn't hear audio cues via Bluetooth or via the iPhone's speakers.

9. chiefpavvy macrumors 6502a

Can't speak to the built-in nav on iOS 6 but I do know navigation in general eats battery. I'd think the built-in one COULD be better, because you can shut the screen off and still get voice prompts and it will light up with a turn coming etc.

Navigon is my nav of choice, been using it for years now. It isn't free, and yes it will eat through the battery very quickly as well. I always have my iPhone plugged in when navigating (unless a very short trip) and even the short trips eat the juice right up.

GPS is a battery killer and when you've got the cellular radios fetching data and what not on top of it...yeah, to be expected.

10. cipher29 macrumors regular

Interesting.. This would be an awesome feature especially on longer drives!!