Turn by Turn - Any news?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bbplayer5, Nov 24, 2008.

1. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

Any news on turn by turn directions? For the life of me, I cannot fathom why Apple is not allowing this.

2. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Some people on here state that Apple won't allow it due to the risk for liability. I don't buy it. It is much more dangerous to have to manually forward to the next step. When ever I have to do this, I usually have to look down to find out where the heck I am on the map. Only then am I able to skip to the next step, all the while looking at my phone, not the road. :eek:

Additionally, there are a bunch of 3rd party aviation apps that seem to do extremely important stuff (like take-off checklists). If this wouldn't set Apple up for litigation, I don't know what would.

I really don't care if Apple implements it natively, they could just allow a 3rd party app to do it. Like this:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=603938

3. dZp macrumors 6502a

dZp

These 2 are rumoured to be coming out soon for the iPhone :

3DVU Navi2Go
    XROAD G-Map for iPhone

For jailbroken fans, there's Xwaves xGPS but so far doesn't have directions enabled.

I'm still hoping TomTom are going to surprise us all... but I'm not holding my breath.

4. markgamber macrumors 6502

"When someone asks you "A penny for your thoughts" and you put your two cents in, what happens to the other penny?"

The two pennies approach the person who wanted a penny for your thoughts. The one penny passes through the Schwarzschild radius and the person inevitably ends up with that penny. The second penny, however, is accelerated to the point where it flies past the person and into space. Although the person doesn't actually create pennies, from a distance it appears that he or she does do just that. It's like Hawking radiation except with pennies instead of atomic particles.

The pricing of these turn-by-turn apps should be interesting. If people think Beejive is expensive, they're gonna crap themselves when these hit the app store.

5. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Right you are. The Garmin app for blackberries is $99. BUT its basically awesome. :cool:

6. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Hmmm. That is steep. Especially for information you can get for free on Google Maps. They would be very convenient, but I don't know if I would get my money's worth. The good thing, these apps are going to have to compete for users. People won't likely get both. And then, there will probably been more players in the future. If it was less than $50, I probably would pull the trigger - at least get it for the wife.

Question, are there other GPS apps for the Blackberry that are cheaper? I do know they have basic GPS apps on a lot of phones that come free on the phone.

7. markgamber macrumors 6502

Well, the whole point of at least one, if not both, of those apps listed above is that they don't need a network and they talk. Google Maps isn't in the same league. I expect to pay over $100. I'd like to be surprised and pay less, but I'm not counting on it. I forget what I paid for Windows Mobile TomTom but it wasn't cheap. Totally worth it, however. They're not competing for the people who complained that Beejive and Orb are too expensive. They're competing for people who actually need a GPS driven map that talks to them and prefer software for their phone over a stand-alone GPS map unit. A decent stand-alone unit with a ton of maps and talks isn't cheap, either.

8. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

There are some that are even free. But they pale in comparison to the Garmin app. The app basically turns your phone into a full GPS device that you would buy in a store. I am personally hoping that Garmin or Tom-Tom or one of the other major developers of GPS devices puts out a quality app like that.

Check out the Garmin site.

9. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Yes, I can see Garmin or TomTom asking for (and getting) a price like this as they are household names, but will 3DVU or XROAD be able to command hefty prices? I'm not exactly well-educated in the GPS device market, but who has ever heard of these companies? Will people shell out that much money (initially) for a relatively unproven company/product?

10. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

For $99.00 I'd rather buy a portable navigation unit.

11. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

That's why I think these should be less than $99. GPS for your iPhone is not going to be able to run in the background, which is going to limit their use substantially.

12. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Still waiting on gomite.com (locoGPS) etc. gomite had been saying it'd be a few weeks for months. I'd expected ~7 months at the latest, to have it ready for launch for v3 iPhone. Guess it's still a waiting game.

13. markgamber macrumors 6502

LOL...you get what you pay for and you're not going to get much of a nav unit for $99! I don't see where it's not being able to run in the background is an issue as long as it can regain a lock in a reasonable amount of time. And it does seem to gain a lock considerably faster than the Tilt which takes forever sometimes.

I also don't see a problem with relatively new apps such as 3DVU and XROAD asking like prices. First, if they have more or less the same functionality as Garmin or TomTom, why shouldn't they? Maybe a bit less to gain a foothold but I don't see a "bargain bin" for these kinds of apps simply because you're mostly paying for the maps. Also, why not try out a newcomer? If it sucks or doesn't do what you expected, you can always hound Apple and get your money back. I got my $3 back for MobileChat with one pleasant email to the app store support people. If a $199 app sucked, I'd really raise hell about it.

14. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Oh, come on. If you get a phone call the wrong time, you could easily miss a critical turn. Sometimes these devices are hard to follow even without interuptions.

As for a $99 dollar unit, would it at least provide you with accurate directions? I wouldn't need all the bells and whistles like re-routing around traffic, weather reports, gas prices, etc... I have my iPhone for that.

15. bstpierre macrumors 6502

TomTom vs iPhone

I have a TomTom One but I often use my iPhone's Google Maps. I don't use the step by step instructions. I just get the route then hit the present location button and adjust the zoom so I can see what is coming up. Then I just follow the purple path. I just need to know which way to turn and when to do it. This works great for me.

16. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

As the owner of said $99 GPS, I would agree. I pop it in its mount in my car and don't have to worry about it. The maps don't update, but $99 was extremely cheap for one of those a year ago. Best Buy has a Garmin model this week for $99 which I belive updates maps. While I'd like a GPS app for iPhone, it's not exactly a dealbreaker.

17. markgamber macrumors 6502

*yawn*....you people will argue over anything, huh? I'm out.

18. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

I'm sorry, are we all supposed to agree with you? Kas and the others bring very valid points, and there is nothing wrong with a grown up discussion of the separate merits. If that's too much for you to handle then I would point out that no one is making you read this thread and post.

Personally, I like having an all-in-one option. I have a Garmin Nuvi unit that I got for about $120 and absolutely love, but if I can get a good alternative to use on my iPhone I'll ditch it in a heartbeat. The screen on the iPhone is even a little bigger than my nav unit so that would be a plus for me.

On the Garmin blackberry app (I had the 7 day trial on this, so it's the only one I have used) if you had your Bluetooth headset on while it was navigating and you got a phone call you could answer the phone and talk while still receiving your directions. It was really sweet. I don't know if that functionality would remain on the iPhone though, because of the SDK restrictions. That could definitely be a dealbreaker. Hopefully we will find out soon though. :eek:

19. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

Next time you have a thought zip it up! :mad:

Personally I think apple will incorporate it into their next gen iphone

20. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Well, I think that's your first problem; you think this is argument. Sorry, it's really not. We're just discussing the possibility/practicality of GPS on the iPhone. :confused:

21. peterja macrumors regular

peterja

I never use my Tomtom Go (1st gen) after I got Tomtom navigator in the phone, now this phone happens to lock faster and track better but the other advantage is that you always have it with you and it can easily be used on foot as well.

22. dZp macrumors 6502a

dZp

The version 1.1 of xGPS was initially scheduled to be released on the 30th November. However due to the large amount of work there is still to do, we are obliged to postpone the release to, at least, next week (6th December). In this version turn-by-turn directions will be more or less available.

:D:D:D

PS: requires jailbroken iPhones/iPods

23. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Is this for real? Looking at the comments on the website you posted, I think you may be telling the truth. WTF Apple!

24. dZp macrumors 6502a

dZp

25. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

I can count on my hand how many times I have tried to use my GPS for directions where turn by turn would have been useful.

Once.

And after 30 minutes, the back was so hot, I turned it off.

Is my phone just faulty, or does the back get hot when using turn by turn GPS for longer periods of time?