Turn-by-turn Directions in iOS 6 on iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zachnelson, Sep 12, 2012.

1. zachnelson macrumors 6502a

Now that the iPhone 4 is subsidized free, my grandparents may be interested in obtaining their first smartphones. One key feature for them is turn-by-turn directions. Does anyone know if these work on the iPhone 4?

Also, is iCloud on iPhone 4, including iMessages?

2. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

I'm going to say no, seeing as Siri is not on the iPhone 4. Just a guess, though.

3. njknight macrumors newbie

I have the iOS 6 GM on my 32GB iPhone 4.

No turn-by-turn. I'd go with the 4S.

4. zachnelson thread starter macrumors 6502a

Was there a page on Apple.com that showed what from iOS 6 will come to what phones? I can't seem to find it.

----------

Damn that blows. I guess $100 isn't too bad for each.

5. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

6. njknight macrumors newbie

"Driving Directions" and "Turn-by-turn" are different things. What you are describing for the iPhone 4 are "Driving Directions."

7. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

I disagree.
    The old Google Maps was driving directions.
    Static, manually advancing driving directions.

Under iOS6 you get live-updating (but not re-routing), location-aware, turn-by-turn directions.

8. SR71 macrumors 68000

The iPhone 4 is getting turn-by-turn direction. It's NOT getting SPOKEN turn-by-turn and will not automatically read out the next set of directions after you've completed the current step.

So, no, the iPhone 4 will still have terrible mapping capabilities for navigation. You'll have to look at the display every time to make sure you don't miss an exit or a turn onto a street, or to see how many more miles you need to drive before your next turn. That's essentially the whole problem with the current Google Maps offering on iOS 5.

----------

Don't forget to add that none of those directions will be spoken out loud on the iPhone 4.