Turn-by-Turn GPS for iPod Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by jedisaga, Feb 19, 2009.

1. jedisaga macrumors 6502

jedisaga

All,

Just read in the news section of MacRumors that a Turn-by-Turn GPS app is now available for the iPhone and even the iPod Touch. I went to the website for the company and they confirm it being available for both devices. Since they didn't give any info on the iPod touch, do you guys believe this to be true since the Touch doesn't have GPS built in? Any thought welcomed!

Eric
    Jedisaga

2. alexbates macrumors 65816

alexbates

The App will probably be able to run but its useless if you can only use it in your house.

3. GSPice macrumors 68000

GSPice

Unless you have your wireless network amped up to exta-legal levels. Otherwise the app could probably direct you out of your driveway.

4. jedisaga thread starter macrumors 6502

jedisaga

Yeah, I can't see how this is going to be possible myself. Although, the website does claim you don't need Wi-Fi to use it. They didn't specifically mention anything about cellular service via the iPhone either. It would be nice if they did find a way to do this for the iPod Touch... Yes, wishful thinking... lol!

5. jvance macrumors newbie

This is being accomplished by attaching a gps module to the iPod Touch. Take a closer look at the video in the story. The demonstration uses an iPod Touch that appears to have one of these gps modules plugged in.

6. jedisaga thread starter macrumors 6502

jedisaga

Yes, I did notice it. Well, if this gives the iPod Touch GPS functionality, I'm soooo there!

7. ThunderBull4 macrumors 6502

How much is this module add-on? GPS on my ipod touch?? AWESOME! lol

8. jedisaga thread starter macrumors 6502

jedisaga

Well, went to the website and didn't see any device such as the one shown in the video. Now I'm really doubtful this is going to work with the ipod touch!

9. SteveSimpkin macrumors newbie

I don't believe it works with any of the currently available plug in GPS modules. AppStore apps are not normally allowed to communicate with the dock.
    All you can do on the iPod Touch is plan your route and simulate it. Assuming you can manually pan the map to your your current location, you might be able to look up nearby points of interests and see the streets around you. Think of it as an enhanced replacement for fold-up paper maps. It does store all of the Eastern or Western U.S. maps locally (almost 1 GB!) so no WiFi is required.

10. GSPice macrumors 68000

GSPice

People.

iPod Touch = no GPS
    no GPS = no real-time turn by turn directions

11. g2tegg macrumors member

Despite the lack of turn by turn directions, I still think this program could be very useful. Its like having a digital map book. From what I read it uses 800 - 900 MB of data to store the program. Which means the maps are all stored on the device. No wifi needed!
    Now all they need to do is release a Canadian version :(

12. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

If you live in a big city where location services using wifi work reasonably well, then the turn-by-turn might get you around that city. In my town the wifi map is non-existant so a GPS add-on would bemandatory. That said you can get GPS for your car with a 4" screen that works well for $200ish.

13. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

It doesn't matter if the maps are stored on the device within the app. You have nothing to tell you where you are. It's like having a map but not knowing where you are.