Turn by turn gps on 4S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rust.puppet, Oct 14, 2011.

1. rust.puppet macrumors regular

I'm looking to switch back to an iPhone (from my samsung captivate) and the only thing I'm worried about is the lack of turn by turn gps on the phone itself or available for download (preferably under 50$).

It normally wouldn't be a big deal but I deliver pizza and the ability to get myself un-lost is great in a sticky situation and a separate gps isn't really in the realm of possibility since my lighter in my car is broken. thanks!

2. darkside flow macrumors 6502

3. EvilShenaniganZ macrumors 6502

EvilShenaniganZ

Is Apple not letting Google use turn by turn on the iphone?
    Why? I'm looking but can't seem to see why this is a problem.

4. darkside flow macrumors 6502

Google maps turn by turn is a major selling point for Android phones. There is no reason for them to include it on the stock app with Apple products.

5. Jman13 macrumors 68000

There are several excellent turn by turn apps for the iPhone, some of which are far more feature rich than the Google turn by turn. MotionX Drive is $1.00, and has online maps and tremendous search options, plus full turn by turn. If you want SPOKEN turn by turn with them, you do need to pay $3 a month or $20 for a year. This is my favorite iPhone GPS app.

For Free, there's the MapQuest app, which gives full voice turn-by-turn and good navigation options, though it lacks the 3D map view and some other features. Still, it's free and works well.

For $17 for a region, $50 for the US, you can get Navigon, which has fully downloaded maps so you don't require a data connection to use it, and is as fully featured a GPS as you can get.

TomTom is also good and there are a few other options as well.

6. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

I really like the Garmin USA app, all maps stored on the phone so no data consumed while using. I think it was $39.99.

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Also, the fact that Google doesn't make a maps app for the iPhone might have something to do with it.

8. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

I'm guessing it's the other way around, Google is not letting Apple do turn-by-turn so as to provide a competitive edge to Google's Android OS.

Why Apple puts up with this rather than partnering with someone other than Google for the iPhone maps, I don't know.

9. darkside flow macrumors 6502

That's also a good point; even though the Maps app is completely reliant on Google Maps, it's not designed by Google.

10. EvilShenaniganZ macrumors 6502

EvilShenaniganZ

I know Apple wont let Sprint put "blot ware" on the phone. BUT would the Telnav they offer be a possible app to get from the app store? It's free on all the phones they offer, well at least Android ones.
    One thing I'll miss from my Evo is the free turn by turn. It worked 99% of the time.

11. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

There are several turn-by-turn apps in the app store. If Apple wanted to pay any one of them to be a free app they'd have done so by now.

Thus, I think it's clear that no one is stopping Apple. They've just decided it's not that big a deal.

12. Blakey. macrumors member

Scratch that. Anyway, I use MapQuest. It's free, provides turn-by-turn, and while it's not the greatest, it's certainly far from bad.

13. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

Waze is free.

Waze has spoken turn by turn directions.

Waze was just reinvented with a great new interface.

Waze used to suck but is now IMHO better than Navigon.

Try Waze.

14. EvilShenaniganZ macrumors 6502

EvilShenaniganZ

So what your saying is I should try Tom Tom??? :confused:

No I'll remember to give Waze a try.

15. Locodice macrumors regular