Turn by Turn GPS...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rob129, Oct 23, 2008.

1. rob129 macrumors newbie

will the 3g iphone ever have it? I loved it on my BB Google maps is nice but it dont hold a candle to a real turn by turn GPS.

2. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Probably. Garmin, TomTom, or any GPS maker has access to make this in the SDK, it's only if Apple will allow it, which i don't see why not. We could also see this from Google someday, but in the mean time i would spend a few hundred and get a nice GPS system.

3. gdeputy macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

Google will do this for the G1 long before they make it available for the iPhone.

4. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Not really. The G1 has street view and now with iPhone 2.2 software we will get street view as well.

5. nitewolfgtr macrumors regular

nitewolfgtr

Last time i heard, TomTom has a working version of turn by turn GPS app but just waiting to be released.... can anyone confirm?

6. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    that's the rumor. But that's what it has been since June....

The longer and longer it is, the less and less likely it will be for the iphone to ever get turn by turn...

7. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

People. Open your eyes! The iPhone 3G was released July 14! Where the f*ck is TbT GPS Apple?

8. hexonxonx macrumors 601

It was rumored that this type of app is not being allowed by Apple because they want to be the first one to release an GPS app. They never said what year or even if it would be in our lifetime.

9. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

one of the most wanted apps on the iphone and yet its not out, doubt if it will come on this phone, maybe on the next. So morons can upgrade.

10. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

On a similar line, it's kind of disappointing that voice dialing isn't included with the iPhone even though my old Razrs did it. I downloaded an app last night that said it did voice-dialing. A free app. Tried it today, and aside from not including digits after a comma (for a pause), it worked swimmingly.

If Apple really has $13B in cash, they need to hire some more iPhone programmers to get features like this standard on the darn phone. I'd really love it if apps didn't have to go through hoops to send crap to my desktop (upload to Internet server, send e-mail, download through link in e-mail) because Apple seems to have the e-mail app off limits.

11. thisisarcadia macrumors 6502

Uh the iPhone 3G came out July 11th. Just wanted to put that out there. And it has been said that yes there is T-B-T GPS apps on the way but iPhone developers have come out and said that the GPS chip in the phone is too small to support T-B-T. So i guess no one will ever know until Steve comes out and says something or it actually happens. It would be nice though but the GPS right now is really laggy. I use it on long trips but it is hard to look where to drive on the phone and actually drive the right way

12. haddman macrumors regular

This is the one feature I would like to see added!! For having the most advanced phone on the market, I'm still baffeled that this wasn't included from the start!!

13. littlewaywelt macrumors regular

If I'm getting your problem correctly (doc storage and access), if you have iDisk setup/Mobile Me, or another idav server, you might want to check out the application A. I. Disk. It's brilliant for file storage and access.

14. littlewaywelt macrumors regular

probably because it's not nearly the most advanced phone on the market. ;)

15. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

Well I hope when they do make a TBT app, IF they make one, they figure out how to fix the battery drainage and phone heating up when using the GPS.

Went to D.C. this past weekend and used the GPS extensively and the phone got HOT.