Turn by Turn navigation on iphone 3g (continued)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bcole, Aug 15, 2008.

1. bcole macrumors newbie

I realize this is a topic much discussed, especially the whole saga with Tom Tom, and the agreements apple have with AT&T and Google, but I've searched high and low for any new information since mid June, and come up trumps.

Whats the deal guys? I'm currently in the process of buying a new car, and am turned on by the idea of using my iPhone 3g for turn by turn nav, and sound system (using mp3 jack).

I'm also a UK user, does this mean that there is potential for companies like Tom Tom to circumvent this potentially upsetting agreement apple have with AT&T in the States?

2. appledrone macrumors regular

I dont see it happening any time soon, the gps in the iphone is too slow and not accurate enough for a tom tom style app to work properly. Also if you were using your iphone for your in car music it would keep cutting out for the directions from the tom tom app(thats if the ipod could even run in the background whilst using such a demanding app)

3. bcole thread starter macrumors newbie

I thought that it was generally agreed that the statement from Tom Tom that they had a beta version of their software on the iPhone, and that it worked well, was accurate?

4. appledrone macrumors regular

You could be right, maybe its the google maps gps that is crap. Mind you, the amount of battery that gps sucks is ridiculous, you would have to buy a car charger cable for it and then it would probably drain your car battery!:p

5. bcole thread starter macrumors newbie

I think the gps in google maps is underrated. You will never get good coverage when using it indoors, but out in the open (which bear in mind is where you would use turn by turn nav) its absolutely fine. It may take a minute or two to locate your position, but once it has and youre on the move I've no complaints.

6. crazyitalian198 macrumors regular

The iPhone 3G GPS is not terrible at all. Mine is incredibly accurate. It picks me up when I'm in a parking lot and accurately shows me moving. Same thing indoors.

People need to realize that the Google Maps Application is not only taking GPS input, but also downloading new maps over 3G or edge. A GPS app would have the maps downloaded already. That means the GPS would only be relaying X & Y coordinates.

GPS is a definate possibility. I'm not sure what the hold up is. Probably a conflict between AT&T's navigator and independent applications.

7. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Every time I read about AT&T, I am that much more grateful that I am on O2.

8. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

I am starting to believe that the gps chip in the iPhone is too weak for turn by turn. When I try to use it is 50/50. Sometimes it works and sometimes it places me in another state. What else could be delaying it? I think apple has something to hide.

9. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

All TomTom said a couple of months ago, was that they had some of their code working under the SDK on the emulator.

But that they (like so many others) had not been accepted into the developer program, and thus had not tried it at the time on a real phone.

As usual, that was taken by "news" sites and expanded into "TomTom almost for sale!" And who knows, it might be. But they haven't said so.

10. JAWWC macrumors regular

I don't think anyone can really say what will happen until 2.1 comes out and see what improvements there are.

11. vrflyer macrumors 6502

vrflyer

If you want a real GPS app/device, buy a real GPS device... ;)

12. chimpboy74 macrumors 6502a

chimpboy74

It had Bl**dy better get turn by turn from TomTom. I upgraded from 1st gen for that very reason. So far I miss my 1st gens more pleasing appearance.

13. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

I think people just want the iPhone to do what was advertised.

14. StingerT125 macrumors 6502a

StingerT125

It was never advertised as having turn by turn navigation.

It was advertised as having turn by turn directions; as it does through the maps application.