Turn by turn navigation

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by izdor, Sep 25, 2012.

1. izdor macrumors newbie

Hey! Among the critisism these days towards apple maps app, I found a good one: Turn by turn navigation does NOT reuquire data network or internet while driving! It only needs it for calulating and making the route plan.

Of course internet data is needed in case of re-routing

I noticed that while navigating, the wheel besides 3g (or LTE) is spinning, so I didnt want to consume too much data, so I turned the data and 3G off in the settings. And still worked!

Im a newbie so maybe many of you know this, but if find it pretty cool, especially for the ones that, like me, do not have unlimited data plan.

Cheers!

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I did not know that and the fact that it doesn't require the data is pretty damn awesome.

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

4. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Not sure I follow. It's a cloud based system and they switched to vector based graphics to lighten the load needed when downloading them. I doubt the entire maps database is on your phone. TomTom downloads but is huge. iMaps would be massive if that was the case.

That said, it likely is still pulling data both graphics and routing down via your signal.

5. JoeBlow74 macrumors regular

Apple Maps does use cell network. The only way it would not use cell network is if Apple loads all map data locally on your phone like Garmin does. The Garmin app loads all map data onto my phone and can calculate routs without any sort of cell connection.

6. izdor thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah but apparently it downloads what it needs for the route plan and then drives you around with the GPS. I dont find another explenation. Go ahead and try it: make it load a route and when its directing you, go to settings and turn off celullar data. It will still work! At least for me...

7. JoeBlow74 macrumors regular

Yes. It only uses the cell connection to re-rout or rout a new rout. It is designed to use very little data just like Google Maps did.

----------

I do not know anything about Apple Maps, but Google Maps has their own web site/blog showing how Google Maps works.

8. Bchagey macrumors 6502

I'm having trouble turning on the turn by turn navigation on my iPhone 4. Is this option for the iPhone 5 only??

9. whathesaid macrumors regular

That's good to hear. Used apple maps this morning to reroute through traffic, worked seamlessly, and it a lot easier to read that the TomTom.

10. blevins321 macrumors 68030

4S and 5 only I believe.

11. bmms8 macrumors 68020

5 or 4s

12. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

I's a well-known fact that it caches data on your route. Well, maybe not so well-known. :p

13. davelanger macrumors 6502a

You can also turn off the phone to save battery and the GPS will turn the phone back on .5 mile before you need to turn, then it will shut it off again. That is a huge plus when you need to go straight for 30 mnis or more on a highway and dnot really need it on

14. izdor thread starter macrumors newbie

When u say turn off the phone I assume is locking it and putting it to sleep right? or actually turning it off completely?

15. Dino F macrumors 68020

Dino F

I think he means just putting it to sleep. When the phone is ready to give you the next new direction or instruction, I think it will then show up in the lock screen.

16. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

It will. I like that added touch too. Other GPS apps I've used will talk but not wake up the display. The iMaps app also puts a small green bar with the instructions at the top if you're in another app or on the homes screen too. Sorta like the one that say return to call when you're on a call but perhaps flip to a music app or calender.

17. davelanger macrumors 6502a

Yes the sleep wake button on the top right to save power.

18. RedRaven571 macrumors 65816

RedRaven571

FWIW, I used my iPad for tun by turn yesterday to go between my company's 2 offices (Collegeville, PA to Parsippany, NJ) and found the directions to be better than my Garmin GPS. It was much easier to follow and looked great on the iPad's larger screen.

19. izdor thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome...Im very happy with the turn by turn of the apple maps!

20. moonman239 macrumors 68000

I don't think turn-by-turn is very useful without a cell signal. Maybe someday Apple will update Maps so it knows all the wrong turns you're most likely to make.