Turn by turn through Bluetooth?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by cooljoe349, Sep 21, 2012.

1. cooljoe349 macrumors regular

cooljoe349

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

my 4s with ios6 works with turn by turn via bluetooth to my car system

3. cooljoe349 thread starter macrumors regular

cooljoe349

That's odd :/

Phone call will work but the maps won't.

I even tried waze and that goes through Bluetooth but no luck with new maps.

4. cooljoe349 thread starter macrumors regular

cooljoe349

I wonder if its something to do with iPhone 4 using 2.1 Bluetooth while 4s and 5 uses 4.0.

5. chisasba macrumors member

I had my 4S connected to a Pioneer headunit, no luck on it going through there. Only calls/Siri (while pushing home button) seem to, could just be the head unit though.

6. cooljoe349 thread starter macrumors regular

cooljoe349

I just did some tests with my 2011 Audi A4. I can place calls and talk with siri over bluetooth but the maps app will not give directions through it.

I also tested waze the free navigation app and it will go through bluetooth so that leads me to believe it's just a problem with the new apple maps app.

Can anyone else test turn by turn through bluetooth?

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Turn by turn on my 4S DOES come over BT in my 2012 BMW 3-series.

8. davidra macrumors 6502

I don't exactly understand multiple BT connections, but my Denali has always connected with my 4S easily. However, it will only perform phone functions (which it does very well) and not audio functions. I have a blubridge adaptor that I plug into an audio jack and can run musing through that, but when I do the phone BT doesn't function. With maps, it's like the audio in that the directions do not play through the car speakers but through the device speakers when it is paired with the car. I am sure this is dependent on the car BT system, since some can play both (which is essentially having the device connected to two systems at once via BT.

9. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

BT works quite well on Ford Sync in my 2010 Fusion Sport. Has all of our phones plugged into it but will only sync with one at a time. iMaps do work as do calls and music. Excellent feature.

10. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

Sync in my F150 will not work with turn by turn directions. Music, calls, and Siri work fine but not maps.

11. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Check the dealer for a possible update? I had mine in for routine service a while back and they updated something? I have a Navi system too so perhaps it was something related to that but do recall the guy mentioning something about a sight and sound package update being flashed to the car.

12. robdam1001 macrumors 6502a

Maps Turn By Turn works fine for me through my BT Headset and through my Acura BT Audio.

13. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    ??? If your bluetooth works with waze and phone calls, how could the problem be your hardware?

Can you listen to music through bluetooth? Try listening to music, then without stopping the music add the turn by turn navigation. See what happens.

Also, this may sound like a dumb question, but from your response above I feel I must ask... you aren't using an iPhone 4 are you? Because that doesn't have voice turn by turn.

14. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

the new maps turn by turn works on my car via bluetooth (using a 4s)

15. njchris macrumors regular

njchris

For the people saying the turn by turn works over BT with their car...

Are you in a certain mode on your car's stereo? Do you have to do anything first to get it to play or does it just interrupt what you are listening to and play the directions?

My car I need to activate the phone music over bluetooth (I can pause the music) and have the phone sounds go through the stereo.

16. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Works in my F150. (With iP4 and iP4s)

After upgrading to iOS6, I didn't have to do anything. Maybe try updating MS-Sync? (Lot's of luck!)

17. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    I haven't tried specifically apple maps turn-by-turn, but for my iPhone 5 (and my iPhone 4 before it) bluetooth is defaulted to ON when I turn on my car. So everything automatically goes to the car through bluetooth, BUT in order to have my car speakers play the bluetooth, I need to turn the car in dash controls to "mp3 play" option (instead of fm, xm, cd, etc). If I play music on my iPhone, but my car is broadcasting the radio, I will continue hearing the radio and not my iPhone. Does that make sense at all? I would pressume it would be identical for apple maps turn by turn.

18. robdam1001 macrumors 6502a

My Acura Audio is set to "BLUETOOTH". I ensure that the Turn by Turn BT icon is set to my Car Audio.

19. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

I called Sync and they verified that I have the latest software. They checked to see if there is a dealer update and there wasn't. Maybe it's something I'm doing wrong.

20. alangore macrumors newbie

On my 4S, turn-by-turn works over my Plantronics Voyager BT earpiece, but the first couple of seconds of each utterance is truncated.

21. Appleseeds macrumors regular

The iPhone 4 does not do turn by turn in the new maps app.
    You will need a 3rd party app for that.

22. pnd4pnd macrumors member

i believe the reason many don't get sound for turn by turn with bluetooth is the iphone will connect to your car using AD2P profile instead of bluetooth headset profile. this is why you don't get any other notification sounds while connected via bluetooth. Unless you are connected and streaming (via AD2P) you won't get the sound. I get turn by turn and notification sounds if i am streaming pandora, but otherwise no.

This has been an issue on the iphone for a very long time (and somewhat depends on your cars implementation of bluetooth) and i can't believe it hasn't been a bigger issue.

Eric

23. davidoloan macrumors 6502

Hi,

Is this turn by turn icon on your car or your phone?

Is there a setting on the phone. I can gets calls to go over Bluetooth, but not directions. The iPhone reads those.

24. robdam1001 macrumors 6502a

You have to tap the BT icon on the map in order to have the Turn By Turn go through the car audio

25. jdr00ejr macrumors newbie

So I thought I'd throw my 2 cents worth in here - please understand - I don't know the correct technical terms.

I have a 2011 Kia Soul. With my phone connected via Bluetooth - listening the the Radio - phone, and Siri will override the radio (radio says "Incoming call with...me..."). The Turn By Turn will not override the radio. If i switch to MP3 (via Bluetooth) and listen to music off my phone - then I get Turn By Turn over Bluetooth.

That said, I've assumed it's because the Phone and Siri tell the Bluetooth connection they are "phone" audio which my factory head unit allows to pass through regardless but the Turn By Turn tells the Bluetooth connection it's "music/app" audio which is only passed through the head unit when the unit is on MP3 Bluetooth mode.

I actually, never hear text tones, or other "music/app" audio at all - not through the Bluetooth Connection or the phone itself when my Bluetooth is connected to my car but the head unit not on MP# Bluetooth mode.

I was really disappointed - I had high hopes the Turn by Turn would go over the "Phone" audio instead so it would interrupt.

Hope this post makes sense.