Turn Ibook G4 1.2Ghz into Ipad

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by djaving, Nov 14, 2010.

1. djaving macrumors newbie

To start off I must say I am not very smart when it comes to mac. This is just an idea i came up with because I only use my ibook G4 for the internet. I have a imac which I use for anything else.

The Ipad is perfect for what I use my Ibook for and i dont have the money to buy an ipad. I understand it cannot be a touch screen but the reason I would want to do this is to hopefully speed up my ibook by only having to load very few applications...really only need firefox. I have noticed over the past year my mac has become very slow (could be my imac is so much faster.) Would there be any way to accomplish what I am wanting or is there any other ideas for what I want to do?

Any advice would help.

2. steezy1337 macrumors 6502

just install the apps you want on there then? i don't' think i completely follow what you're trying to achieve if you're not planning on converting it to a touch screen

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

You still need the OSx under Firefox. There is not a lot running on OSx that you do not need after boot. Firefox might be getting "slow" simply because you are viewing more flash content, which is always slow on the old G4s.

You can stop a few services, but if you don't know what you are doing you will make a mess.

If it's slow it would be more to the point to find out exactly what is slow and why.

4. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Why not do a clean re-install of Mac OSX and only install firefox :)

5. djaving thread starter macrumors newbie

I think what I will do is search for my startup disc and delete everything except firefox. I will do this with the help of someone sharper with mac's then I. thanks for the advice.

6. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

If you delete everything except firefox your computer would not work :p

7. SkippyThorson macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

You, my friend, want an application called AppCleaner. What you do, is go into the applications folder with AppCleaner open, drag the offending application you don't want into the AppCleanner window, and it will quickly scan for all relating files. Just delete them like that.

However, you will not gain much just deleting and uninstalling things. Computers are like aquariums. Every once in a while you just need to start fresh. Empty everything out, reinstall everything, and go from scratch. Too much crap just piles up all over. Cleaning it all by hand is too much sometimes.

I would wipe the drive clean and just do a fresh install of the OS. It's amazing what that can do for you.

8. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Id also custom install the OS to strip out as much as possible (reduce Printer Drivers, ignore extra translations/languages/fonts - install as few of the applications as possible, dont install iLife). Then it should work much better :)