Turn Macbook Pro into Media Center Extender?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Dr Strangelove, Nov 2, 2008.

1. Dr Strangelove macrumors regular

I am wondering if it is possible to watch the live TV from my Vista Media Center PC on my Macbook Pro? There has to be some type of software available that will let me do this?

2. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

3. Dr Strangelove thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the quick response. That looks like hardware not software. I already have the media center pc with the tuner card installed. I just want to connect to it and watch live TV on my macbook via wireless.

4. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I am pretty sure there is nothing out there to watch "live" TV on the MBP. The only option you'd have is to have recordings from your Media Center be made available to your MBP to watch. That's how the Elgato streams media to other Computers in the house.

But to begin with attempting to solve this problem, does Windows Media OS have an option to stream live content? Cause if this isn't possible then it doesn't matter what software you try to use on you MBP. It won't work.

5. Dr Strangelove thread starter macrumors regular

Yup, Media center can stream to an extender live content.

6. jambrose macrumors newbie

HDHomerun

I have an HDHomerun on my network with an ATSC antenna. I can stream live TV to my MBP using VLC. It's not cheap, but it works like a charm.

7. thinkinblue613 macrumors 6502

thinkinblue613

I actually just hooked up my MBP to my 32" HDTV. I use the program Plex for watching movies and what not. It's a nice interface and very simple once you know how to import them.